Forum: Ruby RDoc plain text docs with command to create an HTML table?

Martin Bernd S. (Guest)
on 2009-01-29 18:13
Hi all,

for quite some time I'm trying to get RDoc to display an HTML table
populated with data provided by a ruby method without success. I have
been upgrading RDoc to 2.3.0.

The doc file is a plain text file (.rb), that should describe some
concepts (a la rails guides).

While I played around with using '#'or '=begin rdoc' I neither find a
way to get my method that provides the data evaluated nor an HTML table
displayed. Is this possible at all?

Thanks in advance for any hints / references.

- Bernd
Eric H. (Guest)
On Jan 29, 2009, at 08:11 AM, Martin Bernd S. wrote:

> way to get my method that provides the data evaluated nor an HTML
> table
> displayed. Is this possible at all?
>
> Thanks in advance for any hints / references.

For a text file, a raw table is included straight up:

$ rdoc blah.txt
[...]
$ grep -A4 documentation doc/blah.txt.html

For a .rb file, this should do what you want:

$ cat blah.rb
# <table>
# </table>
class X
end
Martin Bernd S. (Guest)
on 2009-01-30 14:02
Hi Eric,

thanks a lot for your answer. Unfortunatly this still does not work for
me. I building the docs with rake doc:reapp, but the HTML is escaped.

The other thing that I can't get to work is to call a method from within
the comment, that creates the data. Something like

# bla bla bla...
#
# DataDictionary.describe('campaigns')
#

I'll check later if the thing is working if I don't use rake

Thanks again, have a nice weekend! - Bernd
Eric H. (Guest)
On Jan 30, 2009, at 03:59 AM, Martin Bernd S. wrote:

> thanks a lot for your answer. Unfortunatly this still does not work
> for
> me. I building the docs with rake doc:reapp, but the HTML is escaped.

Then don't escape it.

> The other thing that I can't get to work is to call a method from
> within
> the comment, that creates the data. Something like
>
> # bla bla bla...
> #
> # DataDictionary.describe('campaigns')

This will never work.  RDoc doesn't run code from comments and never
will.