Forum: JRuby lightweight intelligent http proxy in jruby

snacktime (Guest)
So I'm working on a fairly simple http service that basically provides a
different api and intelligent routing front end to backend solr
master/slave
instances.  Jruby seems ideal as I can take advantage of java threads.
can't decide what framework to use.  Rails is just unnecessarily heavy.
played around with merb last night but it kind of scares me as I
immediately
got things to break, and I have no idea if anyone is using jruby + merb
in
production.  I don't want to be the only one.  Writing my own request
handlers based on jruby-rack looks like one alternative, although merb
would
probably be a better middle ground if I could just get a warm fuzzy
feeling
about using it.

Any suggestions?

Chris
Mwadhera M. (Guest)
We've been using JRuby w/Merb 0.9.4 (Glassfish) on a high-traffic
production ad server for about 3 weeks now -- so you won't be the only
one using it in a production environment.

I've been playing with the sinatra framework lately:
http://sinatra.github.com/ -- it has a very simple http DSL and is
Rack friendly. Worth checking out if you think the other frameworks
are overkill.

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 1:08 AM, snacktime

--
Best,

Mike W.
http://metasaur.us

Curses! Approximately the same thing that I was going to say!

Though I don't use Merb in production, I have found that I like it quite
a bit more than Rails, and I haven't had any problems with it breaking
on me. The one annoyance that I've had is around Datamapper, since to my
knowledge it still depends on native extensions, so I have to use
Activerecord instead.

I was also going to suggest Sinatra as an even-lighter-weight framework,
but I'd caution that I haven't gotten the same sense of guided and
well-planned development out of it that I have gotten out of Merb.