Forum: Ruby Rubygems and ~/.gem

Michael F. (Guest)
I've been very happy to see the latest improvments in rubygems
regarding installation of both 1.9.1 and 1.8.x gems in my home
directory, but there are still a few rough edges.
I have not found any configuration to disable the warning that is
issued every time i do `gem install` about rubygems not being able to
write to `/usr/bin` and `/usr/lib/ruby/gems/...`

Changing the line installer.rb:50 to
  @home_install_warning = false

Fixed that problem for me, would be nice if that was an option in
~/.gemrc so i don't have to do it for every version of ruby 1.9 or
rubygems i install.
Now it still seems as if `gem cleanup` wants to clean up somewhere
outside my home and fails.

GEM_HOME=~/.gem/ruby/1.8 gem cleanup

Fixes this problem, here as well, an option or better default would be
nice.

Thanks for the last release, I love how rubygems progresses,
^ manveru
Michael F. (Guest)
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Michael F.
> I've been very happy to see the latest improvments in rubygems
> regarding installation of both 1.9.1 and 1.8.x gems in my home
> directory, but there are still a few rough edges.
> I have not found any configuration to disable the warning that is
> issued every time i do `gem install` about rubygems not being able to
> write to `/usr/bin` and `/usr/lib/ruby/gems/...`
>
> Changing the line installer.rb:50 to
>  @home_install_warning = false

@home_install_warning = true

That is, sorry :)