Forum: Ruby on Rails Restful routes and Rails Console

Bharat R. (Guest)
on 2009-01-28 18:10
The following is a snippet of the routes.rb file:

  map.resources :blogs do |blog|
    blog.resources :posts do |post|
        post.resources :comments

The index action in the CommentsController shows:

redirect_to comments_url

I am trying to see what comments_url resolves to in the Rails Console,
but do not know how.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Thomas r. K. (Guest)

On Jan 28, 5:10 pm, Bharat R. wrote:

> I am trying to see what comments_url resolves to in the Rails Console,
> but do not know how.

There's a good reason for this: You don't use/need urls in your
console.
The best way is to write tests for your routes, this will also give
you the
most confidence in your own code.

ciao, tom
Steve R. (Guest)
Hi--
On Jan 28, 2009, at 10:44 AM, Thomas R. Koll wrote:

> console.
> The best way is to write tests for your routes, this will also give
> you the
> most confidence in your own code.

If you want to test routes, shoulda[1] has macros for that. For rspec
users, that would be carlosbrando-remarkable[2].

If you still want to puch this stuff into console,

 >> include ActionController::UrlWriter
 >> new_session_path
=> "/session/new"

See if this helps.

[1] Projects - Shoulda
[2] carlosbrando's remarkable at master - GitHub
Bharat R. (Guest)
on 2009-01-28 23:12
Thank you Steve.  This is precisely what I needed.
Thomas, I appreciate your time as well.  It is just that I learn better
by typing "things" in the Rails Console in bits and pieces and see what
happens.  It is this interactive nature of Ruby and Rails which I like
very much.  Reminds me of the "Immediate Window" in Visual Basic/Access
which made me very productive.

But I do agree with both you gentlemen that a structured testing
methodology is better suited for the task.

Regards,

Bharat