Forum: GNU Radio Maximum recursion depth exceeded

Philip B. (Guest)
When running gnuradio (subversion r10302), I see the following
Exception. I normally see teh circbuf message. I still hear the
dialtone though.

root@beagleboard:~# python
/usr/share/gnuradio/examples/audio/dial_tone.py
Exception RuntimeError: 'maximum recursion depth exceeded while
calling a Python object' in <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'> ignored
gr_vmcircbuf_createfilemapping: createfilemapping is not available
gr_vmcircbuf_sysv_shm: shmat (3): Invalid argument

This system runs python 2.6, if that makes a difference/

Philip
Johnathan C. (Guest)
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Philip B.

> root@beagleboard:~# python /usr/share/gnuradio/examples/audio/dial_tone.py
> Exception RuntimeError: 'maximum recursion depth exceeded while
> calling a Python object' in <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'> ignored
> gr_vmcircbuf_createfilemapping: createfilemapping is not available
> gr_vmcircbuf_sysv_shm: shmat (3): Invalid argument
>
> This system runs python 2.6, if that makes a difference/

It does.  Thanks for the report.  We've put off testing with 2.6 bit
it's apparent there are some issues.

Johnathan
Philip B. (Guest)
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Johnathan C.

> It does.  Thanks for the report.  We've put off testing with 2.6 bit
> it's apparent there are some issues.

Do you have any thoughts on when you might start testing against python
2.6?

I'm working out a way to get libtool to do the linking on the build
machine and then running "make check" on the beagle. I think I am
getting somewhere, but I do see messages like this:

/home/balister/oe/tmp/staging/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/python: line 1:
ELF: not found
/home/balister/oe/tmp/staging/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/python: line 2:
syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

Philip
Eric B. (Guest)
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:49:52PM -0500, Philip B. wrote:

> >> This system runs python 2.6, if that makes a difference/
> >
> > It does.  Thanks for the report.  We've put off testing with 2.6 bit
> > it's apparent there are some issues.
>
> Do you have any thoughts on when you might start testing against python 2.6?

Soon.  I want the python 2.6 issue sorted out before the final
release of 3.2.  Johnathan has recently made an rc0 tarball that
I suspect he'll announce real soon now.

If anybody wants to dive in and sort this out, it would be most
appreciated.  Reading the python docs that explain what's changed
between 2.5 and 2.6 would probably be a good start.

Eric
Dimitris S. (Guest)
Just informing the group that, from what it seems, the default python
version for Ubuntu 9.04 will be the same it was for 8.10, namely
2.5.2: http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/python

Instead, python3 is included in both 8.10 and 9.04. Is the plan to
port gnuradio to python3?

Dimitris S.
"If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping with
a mosquito!" - Amnesty International
Eric B. (Guest)
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 07:16:36PM +0100, Dimitris S. wrote:
> Just informing the group that, from what it seems, the default python
> version for Ubuntu 9.04 will be the same it was for 8.10, namely
> 2.5.2: http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/python
>
> Instead, python3 is included in both 8.10 and 9.04. Is the plan to
> port gnuradio to python3?

There's no plan yet.  This needs to be investigated.

Eric
Philip B. (Guest)
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Eric B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 07:16:36PM +0100, Dimitris S. wrote:
>> Just informing the group that, from what it seems, the default python
>> version for Ubuntu 9.04 will be the same it was for 8.10, namely
>> 2.5.2: http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/python
>>
>> Instead, python3 is included in both 8.10 and 9.04. Is the plan to
>> port gnuradio to python3?
>
> There's no plan yet.  This needs to be investigated.

Fedora 10 is 2.5.2. Not sure what they are planning. Anyone know of a
mainstream distro that uses python 2.6?

Philip
Philip B. (Guest)
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Philip B.

> /home/balister/oe/tmp/staging/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/python: line 1:
>  ELF    : not found
> /home/balister/oe/tmp/staging/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/python: line 2:
> syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

This is obviously an attempt to run python compiled for the build
machine on the Beagle ....

Amazing how much clearer things are in the morning.

Philip
Dimitris S. (Guest)
Fedora 11 will indeed most likely have python 2.6:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_2.6

Dimitris S.
"If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping with
a mosquito!" - Amnesty International
John G. (Guest)
> >> Instead, python3 is included in both 8.10 and 9.04. Is the plan to
> >> port gnuradio to python3?
> >
> > There's no plan yet.  This needs to be investigated.
>
> Fedora 10 is 2.5.2. Not sure what they are planning. Anyone know of a
> mainstream distro that uses python 2.6?

Python 2.6 missed the release window for F10.  Fedora 11 plans to make
Python 2.6 the default ("Fedora is about pushing the boundaries, and
having Python 2.6 as a transitional release on the path to Python 3000
is no exception.")  The F11 Roadmap says they're 85% done so far (and
have no fallback position, i.e. it's gonna happen even if some things
break around the edges):

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/11/FeatureList
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_2.6

The F11 alpha is already frozen, it'll come out on Feb 5th.  Feature
freeze is March 3.  Beta code and string freezes are March 10.  Is
there any chance that a GNU Radio release with Python 2.6 support
is going to hit those dates?

Python 3.x is going to be a much bigger deal for GNU Radio -- but 2.6
is designed as a compatible transition release so you can evolve your
code forward, gradually.  Guido van van Rossum's slides on "Python
3000 and You" are at the first URL below:

  http://www.python.org/doc/2.6/whatsnew/2.6.html
  http://python.org/download/releases/3.0/

  John
Johnathan C. (Guest)
On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 13:00 -0800, John G. wrote:

> The F11 alpha is already frozen, it'll come out on Feb 5th.  Feature
> freeze is March 3.  Beta code and string freezes are March 10.  Is
> there any chance that a GNU Radio release with Python 2.6 support
> is going to hit those dates?

Our "intent" is that we'll roll any changes needed to work with 2.6 into
the trunk and backport to the 3.2 stable release.  It high on the list
of things to work out during the release candidate series.

Johnathan
Marek Mahut (Guest)
Hello,

Johnathan C. wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 13:00 -0800, John G. wrote:
>
>> The F11 alpha is already frozen, it'll come out on Feb 5th.  Feature
>> freeze is March 3.  Beta code and string freezes are March 10.  Is
>> there any chance that a GNU Radio release with Python 2.6 support
>> is going to hit those dates?
>
> Our "intent" is that we'll roll any changes needed to work with 2.6 into
> the trunk and backport to the 3.2 stable release.  It high on the list
> of things to work out during the release candidate series.

Do you know of any ETA for Python 2.6 support of 3.2 release? Any chance
to get it before 14 April?

> Johnathan

Thank you,

--
Marek Mahut               https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Astronomy/
Fedora Project                                   http://www.jamendo.com/
On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 03:27:48PM +0100, Marek Mahut wrote:
> > Our "intent" is that we'll roll any changes needed to work with 2.6 into
> > the trunk and backport to the 3.2 stable release.  It high on the list
> > of things to work out during the release candidate series.
>
> Do you know of any ETA for Python 2.6 support of 3.2 release? Any chance
> to get it before 14 April?

That should be possible.

Eric