Forum: Ruby on Rails javascript and caching

(Guest)
Hi guys,

I'll start to develop a new app that uses some heavy js librarys
(prototype, scriptaculous, tinymce and so on).

Someone told me to make all the app using ajax, so all the js files
will be loaded only once.

My question is, I really must do everything on ajax?

Lets say if I call myapp.com/projects and projects use all those js
files, then I click on a "show" link and I'm redirected to myapp.com/
projects/1 on this redirect, all js will be reloaded again?

Whats the best way to handle with javascript and caching?
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 27 Jan 2009, at 22:19, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

> My question is, I really must do everything on ajax?
>
> Lets say if I call myapp.com/projects and projects use all those js
> files, then I click on a "show" link and I'm redirected to myapp.com/
> projects/1 on this redirect, all js will be reloaded again?

Not necessarily - if your web server is serving the JS files with the
correct caching headers then the browser shouldn't reload them (and
using gzip encoding will make a big difference too).

Fred