Forum: Ruby on Rails problem in sending email

mujahid raafay (Guest)
Dear friends,
     I am new to rails.I am develoing a test application in which i need
send email . I have rails 2.2.2
     I have made following changes in application.rb

   ActionMailer::Base.delivery_method = :smtp

   ActionMailer::Base.smtp_settings = {
   :address => 'smtp.gmail.com',
   :port => 587,
   :domain => 'gmail.com',
   :authentication => :plain,
   :user_name => 'removed_email_address@domain.invalid',
   :password => 'lionesss',
   :tls =>  true
  }

  When i send email I get following message in prompt:

Processing AddressBooksController#addFriends (for 127.0.0.1 at
2009-01-26
14:23:41) [GET]
  Parameters: {"final"=>"1", "email0"=>"removed_email_address@domain.invalid"}
Redirected to /address_books/sendmail?nameOfSender=muhammad
Completed in 3ms (DB: 0) | 302 Found [
http://127.0.0.1/address_books/addFriends?final=1&...
]

Processing AddressBooksController#sendmail (for 127.0.0.1 at 2009-01-26
14:23:42) [GET]
  Parameters: {"nameOfSender"=>"muhammad"}
Sent mail to removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:23:42 +0500
From: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
To: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Subject: Invitation from BizCar

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    <head>
charset=iso-8859-1" />
        <title>Untitled Document</title>
    </head>
Completed in 11ms (View: 0, DB: 0) | 200 OK [
http://127.0.0.1/address_books/sendmail?nameOfSend...]

Hello Muhammad,

Your question showed up twice, so answered again.

I assume you've already installed action_mailer_optional_tls so I
won't say to do that.

I use:

ActionMailer::Base.smtp_settings = {
  :tls => true,
  :address => "smtp.gmail.com",
  :port => 25,
  :domain => "gmail.com",
  :authentication => :login,
  :user_name => "removed_email_address@domain.invalid",
  :password => "........"

}

But I also needed to make a change to smtp_tls.rb so it would work
with Ruby 1.8.7.  Specifically:

Change:

check_auth_args user, secret, authtype if user or secret

    check_auth_args user, secret if user or secret

As for some reason check_auth_args went from 3 args to 2.

Rick