Forum: Ruby on Rails Please help with a routing problem

Adrian (Guest)
Hi All

I'm having some issues with the following routes problem.

The routes.rb file ...
  map.resources :users
  map.connect '/users/view_payments/:user_id', :controller =>
'users', :action => 'view_payments'

The users_controller.rb file ...
  def view_payments
    @user = User.find[:params[:user_id]]
    @payments = @user.payments
  end

The routes list from a rake routes ...
     /users/view_payments/:user_id
{:controller=>"users", :action=>"view_payments"}

The .../views/users/view_payments.html.erb file ...
   <%= link_to 'View Payments', :controller => 'users', :action =>
'view_payments', :user_id => @user.id %>

Then the URL generated from the link_to ...
   http://localhost:3000/users/view_payments/2

But this returns a 404 error

Any help/ideas appreciated

Cheers
Adrian
Andrew T. (Guest)
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Adrian <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> The users_controller.rb file ...
>   <%= link_to 'View Payments', :controller => 'users', :action =>
> Adrian

Firstly have you restarted the server, this has bitten me more than a
few
times.
Otherwise try putting the more specific route first in the routes file.

--
Andrew T.
http://ramblingsonrails.com

Ryan B. (Guest)
You need to define a member resource on the map.resources :users. For
more information see the guide on routing on
http://guides.rubyonrails.org
alexbo (Guest)
try
map.resources :users, :member => {:view_payments => :get}

should work.
Jeff C. (Guest)
On Jan 26, 5:08 am, Adrian <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>   def view_payments
> 'view_payments', :user_id => @user.id %>
>
> Then the URL generated from the link_to ...
>    http://localhost:3000/users/view_payments/2
>
> But this returns a 404 error
>
> Any help/ideas appreciated
>
> Cheers
> Adrian

As others have said, you just need to define the custom action in your
routes.

But I might suggest a more restful approach:

map.resources :users, :has_many => :payments

Then you can use links like

http://localhost:3000/users/2/payments

This calls the index action of a Payments controller. You can look at
params[:user_id] to know which user is involved.  This way you don't
need any custom actions.

Just a thought.

Jeff
switchingtorails.com
Adrian (Guest)
Thanks to all who responded.

I decided to go with the more RESTful approach:

map.resources :users, :has_many => :payments

and use the index action on the payments controller.

Cheers
Adrian