Forum: Ruby on Rails Making GPS POI

Jf R. (Guest)
Hi

I would like to make  dynamic POI files for GPS software such tomtom

Have you  ever heard about a "ror solution" to do that?

thanks
 jef
Rob B. (Guest)
On Jan 25, 2009, at 1:40 PM, jef wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would like to make  dynamic POI files for GPS software such tomtom
>
> Have you  ever heard about a "ror solution" to do that?
>
> thanks
> jef

Well, not Rails, but just Ruby.  I threw this together for my Garmin
last year:

http://gist.github.com/52513

poi.rb takes a file of addresses, geocodes them, and creates a .csv file

poimerge.rb takes two POI .csv files and tries to identify duplicates
and likely duplicates

You might want to check out http://www.poi-factory.com/ for a lot of
general POI and GPSr resources.

-Rob

Rob B.    http://agileconsultingllc.com
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Jf R. (Guest)
My problem is to make ov2 file. (tomtom file format). it's a binary
file.

Any idea to do that in ruby?

thanks
Rob B. (Guest)
Either figure out the format and just write it out, or visit
  http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6675
and get a tool that will do the csv=>ov2 conversion and just write out
the csv with ruby (and FasterCSV)

-Rob

On Jan 30, 2009, at 10:46 AM, jef wrote:

>> You might want to check outhttp://www.poi-factory.com/for a lot of
>> general POI and GPSr resources.
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>> Rob B.          http://agileconsultingllc.com