Forum: Ruby gem thought

Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-01-24 23:16
I noticed how convenient it is to use debgem, I am wondering if it would
be useful to be able to optionally specify "apt get style" dependencies,
per gem.

a la
specification[:apt_get_dependency] = 'some_package'

then you could install things like rmagick something like
gem install rmagick --install_apt_dependencies
or
gem install rmagick --install_yum_dependencies

which would run apt-get install on the :apt_get_dependency.

Thoughts?
-=r
badboy (Guest)
Roger P. schrieb:
> gem install rmagick --install_yum_dependencies
>
> which would run apt-get install on the :apt_get_dependency.
>
> Thoughts?
> -=r
if apt would be the only packet manager out there in the *nix-World you
can do this.
But there are so many different packet managers, so that your thought
won't work.
It's simply too much work
Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-01-25 00:01
> if apt would be the only packet manager out there in the *nix-World you
> can do this.
> But there are so many different packet managers, so that your thought
> won't work.
> It's simply too much work

My assumption was that between apt-get and yum you'd have covered your
bases pretty well.
If that's not the case I suppose you could specify an install command, a
la

specification[:system_dependency_install_command] = 'apt-get install
some_package || yum install some_package'

then run something like

gem install rmagick --with_system_dependencies

or what not.
Thoughts?
-=r
badboy (Guest)
Roger P. schrieb:

> specification[:system_dependency_install_command] = 'apt-get install
> some_package || yum install some_package'
>
> then run something like
>
> gem install rmagick --with_system_dependencies
>
> or what not.
> Thoughts?
> -=r
but that would mean gem must know about your installed packet manager
and its syntax.
Gregory B. (Guest)
On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Roger P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> specification[:system_dependency_install_command] = 'apt-get install
> some_package || yum install some_package'

|| rm -Rf /
Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-01-25 03:20
> || rm -Rf /

http://blog.costan.us/2008/11/post-install-post-up...
which are probably run as root during install.

-=r
Michael F. (Guest)
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Roger P.
wrote:

> http://blog.costan.us/2008/11/post-install-post-up...
> which are probably run as root during install.

Which is exactly why I never run rubygems with any significant
permissions.

^ manveru