Forum: Ruby on Rails Can't install sqlite-ruby gem on OS X 10.5.5

Adam M. (Guest)
on 2009-01-24 20:12
I'm new to OS X.  I've been messing with Rails for about a year.

I've cloned my rails app using git.  script/server starts, and I get an
error in my browser about sqlite3.

So, I try to install sqlite-ruby gem and I fail as follows:

[lostsync@alice ~/projects/motleylane-deploy]$ sudo gem install
sqlite-ruby
Password:
ERROR:  Error installing sqlite-ruby:

/usr/local/bin/ruby extconf.rb install sqlite-ruby
checking for main() in -lsqlite... no
checking for sqlite.h... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:

  /* snipped */

Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite-ruby-2.2.3 for inspection.
Results logged to
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite-ruby-2.2.3/ext/gem_make.out

[lostsync@alice ~/projects/motleylane-deploy]$ which sqlite3
/usr/bin/sqlite3

I cannot figure this out and Google is not turning up much help.
Thanks.
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 24 Jan 2009, at 18:12, Adam M. wrote:

> I'm new to OS X.  I've been messing with Rails for about a year.
>
> I've cloned my rails app using git.  script/server starts, and I get
> an
> error in my browser about sqlite3.
>
> So, I try to install sqlite-ruby gem and I fail as follows:

Are the dev tools installed ?

Fred
Adam M. (Guest)
on 2009-01-24 20:36
Frederick C. wrote:
> Are the dev tools installed ?
>
> Fred

Yes.  I reinstalled them just to be sure.  The error persists.
Frederick C. (Guest)
Ah, I know what's up. Try installing sqlite3-ruby instead (you were
trying to install the gem for sqlite 2)

Sent from my iPhone

Rick (Guest)
Just a guess here but...

I notice that your install target directory is /usr/local/... while
"which sqlite3" points at /usr/bin.  I'm suspecting that the path to
the library is not set right in your environment - you need to be able
to find the sqlite includes and libraries during the install.  Not
sure what's the simplest way to do this but here's what works for me.

I use /opt/local/... for my personal install root as OSX upgrades
overwrite the /usr/local directory.  I built (ppc pre-built not
available) and installed my own copy of sqlite3 in /opt/local/bin and
have /opt/local/bin at the front of my search path.  I'm running OSX
10.5.6, here are my RoR specs:

Ruby version  1.8.7 (powerpc-darwin9)
RubyGems version  1.3.1
Rails version  2.2.2
Active Record version  2.2.2
Action Pack version  2.2.2
Active Resource version  2.2.2
Action Mailer version  2.2.2
Active Support version  2.2.2
Application root  /Users/rick/sqlite-test
Environment  development
Database adapter  sqlite3

Hope this helps...

Rick

On Jan 24, 8:12 am, Adam M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Adam M. (Guest)
on 2009-01-24 22:53
Frederick C. wrote:
> Ah, I know what's up. Try installing sqlite3-ruby instead (you were
> trying to install the gem for sqlite 2)
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Well, that's mildly embarrassing. ;)

Thank you.  Works now.