Forum: Ruby Help on SQLITE3-ruby (1.2.3) Windows problem

unknown (Guest)
Your Help please:

I have installed sqlite3 in directory :  c:\tools\sqlite3\
and performed gem install :  gem install sqlite3-ruby-1.2.3-
mswin32.gem

test2.rb  program:
#--------------------------------------------------------------
require 'rubygems'
require 'sqlite3/database'
  require 'sqlite3'

  File.delete "test.db" rescue nil

   db = SQLite3::Database.new( "test.db" )
 sql = <<SQL
     create table the_table (
       a varchar2(30),
       b varchar2(30)
     );

     insert into the_table values ( 'one', 'two' );
     insert into the_table values ( 'three', 'four' );
     insert into the_table values ( 'five', 'six' );
SQL

   db.execute_batch( sql )

db.execute( "select * from the_table" ) do |row|
    p row
  end
#-----------------------------------------------------------

** upon executing the program:  ruby test2.rb

   it can not file sqlite3.dll

But when I move aa copy of sqlite3.dll into the same directory as
test2.rb
then everything runs OK.

Question:  How do I condition sqlite3-ruby to load the sqlite3.dll
from the directory c:\tools\sqlite3?

Thanks for your assistance,
John
Bosko I. (Guest)
On Jan 24, 6:08 am, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:
>   require 'sqlite3'
>      insert into the_table values ( 'one', 'two' );
>

> Thanks for your assistance,
> John

Put c:\tools\sqlite3 in the PATH environment variable.
Luis L. (Guest)
On Jan 24, 3:08 am, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:
>   require 'sqlite3'
>      insert into the_table values ( 'one', 'two' );
>

> Thanks for your assistance,
> John

For Windows to load shared libraries (.dll) needs to find those in any
of the directories of PATH, including the directory where the
executable (ruby.exe) is located.

Now, this is similar to LD_LIBRARY_PATH on *nix, but playing with it
is considered harmful [1]

sqlite3-ruby is built on Windows against the binary version of SQLite,
which requires the dll to be found in the PATH.

One alternative is add c:\tools\sqlite3 to the PATH:

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\tools\sqlite3

The other alternative is put sqlite3.dll binary in the Ruby folder.

[1] http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Admin/ld-lib-path.html

HTH,
Jeremy H. (Guest)
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 01:03:08AM +0900, Luis L. wrote:
> > require 'sqlite3/database'
> >
> > #-----------------------------------------------------------
> > from the directory c:\tools\sqlite3?
>
> sqlite3-ruby is built on Windows against the binary version of SQLite,
> which requires the dll to be found in the PATH.
>
> One alternative is add c:\tools\sqlite3 to the PATH:
>
> SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\tools\sqlite3
>
> The other alternative is put sqlite3.dll binary in the Ruby folder.

Another option is to use Amalgalite which embeds SQLite in the ruby
extension,
no need to download the sqlite3.dll separately.  If you are using sqlite
directly then that is a good option.  if you need to use ActiveRecord or
Sequel
or something like that, the drivers for ORM's do not exist, yet.

enjoy,

-jeremy