Forum: NGINX Starting nginx without checking for upstream server availability

John Kemp (Guest)

I am using nginx in a reverse-proxy situation, with several upstream
servers on different networks.
I am often testing parts of my server without access to some of the
upstream servers. When I try to start nginx and even a single upstream
server is unavailable, I get the message:

> comp:blah johnk$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/nginx
> 2009/01/23 10:24:22 [emerg] 4894#0: host not found in upstream
> "xxx.yyy.zzz" in /usr/local/nginx//conf/nginx.conf:18

And nginx is not started.

Although I like configuration checking, I'd also like to be able to
start nginx even when one or more upstream servers are down. Is there
a way to do that? I couldn't see a command-line option to do so, or
anything that looked relevant in the config file examples on the wiki.

I am using nginx 0.7.30, compiled from source on OS X.

Cheers,

- johnk
Igor S. (Guest)
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:56:14PM -0500, John Kemp wrote:

> And nginx is not started.
>
> Although I like configuration checking, I'd also like to be able to
> start nginx even when one or more upstream servers are down. Is there
> a way to do that? I couldn't see a command-line option to do so, or
> anything that looked relevant in the config file examples on the wiki.
>
> I am using nginx 0.7.30, compiled from source on OS X.

One of the way  - to use IP addresses.
John Kemp (Guest)
On Jan 23, 2009, at 2:09 PM, Igor S. wrote:

>>> 2009/01/23 10:24:22 [emerg] 4894#0: host not found in upstream
>> I am using nginx 0.7.30, compiled from source on OS X.
>
> One of the way  - to use IP addresses.

Is there a way to disable on-startup host lookup altogether (other
than making a code change)?

- johnk
Igor S. (Guest)
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 02:55:03PM -0500, John Kemp wrote:

> >>wiki.
> >>
> >>I am using nginx 0.7.30, compiled from source on OS X.
> >
> >One of the way  - to use IP addresses.
>
> Is there a way to disable on-startup host lookup altogether (other
> than making a code change)?

There is complex way - using variables in proxy_pass:

       proxy_pass    http://host$request_uri;

but you can not disable lookups for servers inside upstream blocks.