Forum: Ruby on Rails 'Wrong constant name name:stringController

Andy R. (Guest)
on 2009-01-23 01:08
Hi Guys,
I'm totally new to RoR and have been using the following website as
reference

http://developer.apple.com/tools/developonrailsleopard.html

It works fine up until the part where i have to type the following into
Terminal.

script/generate scaffold event name:string budget:decimal

i get the following error

wrong constant name Name:stringController

I have followed only the actions set out in the above link, and it is a
fresh install of Leopard.

Can anyone help me find out where i've gone wrong.. at such an early
stage!

Thanks again

Andy
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 22 Jan 2009, at 23:08, Andrew Norton wrote:

> script/generate scaffold event name:string budget:decimal
>
> i get the following error
>
> wrong constant name Name:stringController
>
> I have followed only the actions set out in the above link, and it
> is a
> fresh install of Leopard.

Does this mean you haven't update rails ? Leopard ships with 1.2.6
IIRC, and that article says it requires 2.0.2
James Pellerano (Guest)
I get the same error while using Aptana's IDE with rails 2.0.2.

On Jan 22, 7:03 pm, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Andy R. (Guest)
on 2009-01-23 11:22
I've only just installed leopard, and then xcode 3.

following these commands from
(http://developer.apple.com/tools/developonrailsleopard.html) led me to
the above error message

sudo gem update --system
sudo gem install rails
sudo gem update rake
sudo gem update sqlite3-ruby
*do start server script(script/server)*
rails expenses
script/generate scaffold event name:string budget:decimal
-  wrong constant name Name:stringController

have i missed out an action?
James Pellerano (Guest)
Does anyone have ideas about this? This problem is a big hinder to
development.

On Jan 23, 4:22 am, Andy R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 8:58 AM, James Pellerano

>> following these commands from
>> (http://developer.apple.com/tools/developonrailsleopard.html) led me to
>> the above error message
>>
>> sudo gem update --system
>> sudo gem install rails
>> sudo gem update rake
>> sudo gem update sqlite3-ruby
>> *do start server script(script/server)*

I don't see that line anywhere on the referenced page...

>> rails expenses

OK, so you created a new project -- before you did anything else
did you start the server to see if it ran "out of the box"? Or run
`script/about`?  I'd do those first.

>> script/generate scaffold event name:string budget:decimal
>> -  wrong constant name Name:stringController

You also might updating your Rails version to something close to
current, create a new project with it, see if that basically runs, and
then try generating your scaffold.

James Pellerano (Guest)
So I did a update and it says it updated rails, but there is no
difference when I run scaffold.

On Jan 24, 1:38 pm, Hassan S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
James Pellerano (Guest)
So I did a update and it says it updated rails, but there is no
difference when I run scaffold.

On Jan 24, 1:38 pm, Hassan S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 7:47 PM, James Pellerano

> So I did a update and it says it updated rails, but there is no
> difference when I run scaffold.

>> OK, so you created a new project -- before you did anything else
>> did you start the server to see if it ran "out of the box"? Or run
>> `script/about`?

So what's the output of both of the above?

James Pellerano (Guest)
I still get the "Wrong constant name:stringController"

On Jan 26, 12:05 am, Hassan S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
James Pellerano (Guest)
I still get the "Wrong constant name:stringController"

On Jan 26, 12:05 am, Hassan S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
James Pellerano (Guest)
I still get the "Wrong constant name:stringController"

On Jan 26, 12:05 am, Hassan S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
James Pellerano (Guest)
so I have been using Aptana Studio as an IDE. I am on Mac OS 10.5, so
I went to the terminal and typed in

"sudo gem update --system"

and let it run through the updates, and in the terminal i typed in
"rails expenses" and it worked and then i typed in "script/generate
scaffold events ..." and I didnt get any errors. I hope this works for
others! :)