Forum: JRuby JRuby 1.1.7 will be 1.2

Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
We've discussed this a bit on IRC and in real life and it's been
suggested by a number of committers and users, so we're just going to do
it.

JRuby 1.1.7 will be relabeled as JRuby 1.2, to reflect how much work has
gone into JRuby since 1.1.

 From a support/versioning perspective, 1.2 is roughly equivalent to
previous 1.1.x releases. But we feel it's time to make a larger
statement about JRuby stability, performance, and features by moving to
1.2.

We also will use 1.x releases instead of 1.y.x releases for our
bi-monthly schedule, reserving 1.y.x releases for critical fixes or paid
support releases as necessary. So the next release (perhaps right before
JavaOne) would be 1.3, and so on.

Feel free to ask any questions or comment on this thread. And rest
assured, 1.2 is not a break from 1.1 compatibility...it's largely a
marketing move to reflect that we've come a *long* way since 1.1.

- Charlie

On Jan 22, 2009, at 4:08 PM, Charles Oliver N. wrote:

> We've discussed this a bit on IRC and in real life and it's been
> suggested by a number of committers and users, so we're just going
> to do it.
>
> JRuby 1.1.7 will be relabeled as JRuby 1.2, to reflect how much work
> has gone into JRuby since 1.1.

Excellent. Good move!

cr

how about full scale compatibility with ruby1.9 aka YARV

<<-nabeel

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 3:34 AM, Chuck R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> cr

>   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

We hope to have the majority of 1.9 support done. I'll probably do some
compiler work today. Largely though we have Marcin Mielzynski to thank
for a tremendous amount of work on 1.9 core class changes.