TypeError maps to System.InvalidOperationException?

We map Ruby’s TypeError to System.InvalidOperationException. This
surprised me. I would have expected TypeError to map to
System.InvalidCastException. Wouldn’t that be preferable?

In general, it would be good to document on
http://www.ironruby.net/Documentation/CLR_Interop/Specification the
exact mapping of the entire Ruby exception hierarchy to the equivalent
.NET exception types. This will be useful documentation, especially for
apps that host IronRuby scripts, and we can also do a brief review and
potentially tweak the mapping. I have added a table at the bottom of the
page which is half filled in.

Thanks,
Shri

If you search for “RubyExceptions.CreateTypeError” in libraries you’ll
get lines including the following (apart from type conversion errors).
So it’s not always a cast or conversion that fails. On the other hand, a
conversion to a wrong type is an invalid operation. The exception
mapping is attached.

C:\M0\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Ruby\Builtins\MutableString.cs(244):
throw RubyExceptions.CreateTypeError(“can’t modify frozen object”);
C:\M0\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Ruby\Builtins\RubyClass.cs(171):
throw RubyExceptions.CreateTypeError(“can’t copy singleton class”);
C:\M0\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Ruby\Builtins\RubyClass.cs(183):
throw RubyExceptions.CreateTypeError(“already initialized class”);
C:\M0\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Ruby\Builtins\RubyClass.cs(510):
throw RubyExceptions.CreateTypeError(String.Format(“allocator undefined
for {0}”, Name));
C:\M0\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Ruby\Builtins\RubyClass.cs(592):
throw RubyExceptions.CreateTypeError(String.Format(“allocator undefined
for {0}”, Name));
C:\M0\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Ruby\Builtins\RubyModule.cs(355):
throw RubyExceptions.CreateTypeError(“can’t modify frozen Module”);
C:\M0\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Ruby\Runtime\Globals\SpecialGlobalVariableInfo.cs(239):
throw RubyExceptions.CreateTypeError(String.Format(“${0} must have write
method, {1} given”,
C:\M0\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Ruby\Runtime\RubyContext.cs(1321):
throw RubyExceptions.CreateTypeError(“assigning non-exception to $!”);
C:\M0\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Ruby\Runtime\RubyContext.cs(1345):
throw RubyExceptions.CreateTypeError(“backtrace must be Array of
String”);
C:\M0\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Ruby\Runtime\RubyExceptions.cs(127):
return RubyExceptions.CreateTypeError(String.Format(“{0} can’t be
coerced into {1}”, selfClass, otherClass));
C:\M0\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Ruby\Runtime\RubyOps.cs(503):
throw RubyExceptions.CreateTypeError(“can’t define singleton method for
literals”);
C:\M0\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Libraries.LCA_RESTRICTED\Builtins\TimeOps.cs(224):
throw RubyExceptions.CreateTypeError(“unable to marshal time”);
C:\M0\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Libraries.LCA_RESTRICTED\Builtins\TimeOps.cs(260):
throw RubyExceptions.CreateTypeError(“marshaled time format differ”);