Forum: Ruby Suggestions and Resources?

Kenny X. (Guest)
on 2009-01-21 06:21
Hi I'm 11 years old and love computers, and want to go into programming.
I've tried C, C++, and other languages but their all too hard for me.
I came across Ruby, and thought I'd give it a shot.
Anyone that can recommend any good resources, ebooks, and tutorials?

Any advice is appreciated! :)
Robert K. (Guest)
On 21.01.2009 05:19, Kenny Xm wrote:
> Hi I'm 11 years old and love computers, and want to go into programming.
> I've tried C, C++, and other languages but their all too hard for me.
> I came across Ruby, and thought I'd give it a shot.
> Anyone that can recommend any good resources, ebooks, and tutorials?
>
> Any advice is appreciated! :)

You can find reference as well as introductory material here:
http://ruby-doc.org/

This might be helpful as well
http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

Have fun

  robert
Richard C. (Guest)
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 4:19 AM, Kenny Xm <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Hi I'm 11 years old and love computers, and want to go into programming.
> I've tried C, C++, and other languages but their all too hard for me.
> I came across Ruby, and thought I'd give it a shot.
> Anyone that can recommend any good resources, ebooks, and tutorials?
>
> Any advice is appreciated! :)

Hi Kenny,
Chris P.'s 'Learn to Program' book is an excellent read, but you
might also want
to look into Shoes and HacketyHack (hackety.org). These are special
versions of
Ruby that are especially designed as a first programming environment.

Not getting ageist or anything, but the primary goal was to make
programming
accessible for kids. Its a refreshingly simple way of programming for
30 somethings
also ...
Albert S. (Guest)
on 2009-01-21 12:00
Kenny Xm wrote:
> Hi I'm 11 years old and love computers, and want to go into programming.
> I've tried C, C++, and other languages but their all too hard for me.
> I came across Ruby, and thought I'd give it a shot.
> Anyone that can recommend any good resources, ebooks, and tutorials?

Kenny,

As an alternative to Ruby (which I'm not sure is a good choice for young
newcomers), check out "Alice". Its homepage says "An education software
that teaches students computer programming in a 3D environment".

http://www.alice.org/
Albert S. (Guest)
on 2009-01-21 12:18
Albert S. wrote:
> As an alternative to Ruby (which I'm not sure is a good choice for young
> newcomers), check out "Alice" [...]

But it's not that I'm familiar with Alice. In fact, I've just searched
their site and I can't find any juicy piece of source code. It doesn't
bode well because it suggests the people there aren't really into the
"religion".
Kenny X. (Guest)
on 2009-01-22 03:42
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into Chris P.'s tutorial.
(BTW Alice looks too awkward, looks like some version of game maker with
better 3d capabilities. Oh, how I hate GM...)

I'm going to start with the tutorial Robert and Richard suggested.
Any additional resources appreciated! :)
Robert K. (Guest)
2009/1/22 Kenny Xm <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into Chris P.'s tutorial.
> (BTW Alice looks too awkward, looks like some version of game maker with
> better 3d capabilities. Oh, how I hate GM...)
>
> I'm going to start with the tutorial Robert and Richard suggested.
> Any additional resources appreciated! :)

Don't get lost in too much reading.  Try to implement something small
that you can imagine useful for you or at least try out things in IRB.
 Having said that the Ruby quiz might give you an interesting
collection of "tasks" (or rather problems to solve) in case you cannot
see anything useful for you and it has the added benefit that you can
look at other solutions.

Kind regards

robert