Forum: Ruby on Rails Do I need an SSL certificate to use ActionMailer 2.2.2?

Dr_Gavin (Guest)
Hi guys - I'm sorry to post about this issue again but after several
days I still cannot get ActionMailer working and I've been through
every tutorial/forum looking for the answer.

I know ActionMailer now requires SSL validation, does that mean I need
to purchase an SSL certificate before I can send emails?

If not, is there anyone out there who can help me set up my mailer to
work?

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rubyonrails-talk/...

your's despairingly,

Gavin
Fernando P. (Guest)
on 2009-01-20 15:41
> I know ActionMailer now requires SSL validation, does that mean I need
> to purchase an SSL certificate before I can send emails?

Where did you hear that? SSL is only an option not a requirement. We use
ActionMailer on our VoD website, and to send and receive emails from/to
other servers, we cannot (yet) use encrypted protocol.

--
Screencasts for distance learners: http://www.digiprof.fr
Dr_Gavin (Guest)

http://journal.dedasys.com/2008/12/08/openssl-ssl-...

I get the message:
OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError: hostname was not match with the server
certificate

When trying to use the actionmailer settings that everyone suggests?

Does your app run in Rails 2.2.2 Fernando?

On 20 Jan, 13:41, Fernando P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>