Forum: Ruby Dual boot system -- share installed gems

dkmd_nielsen (Guest)
I have a dual boot computer -- Linux and XP.  There is a shared data
partition that the two access.  Would it be possible to have the ruby
gem repository on that shared drive such that my Ruby environment is
the same no matter which operating system I startup?  Meaning, I
install a new gem on the Windows side.  When I startup Linux, that gem
is installed and available.

dvn
Matt H. (Guest)
dkmd_nielsen wrote:
> I have a dual boot computer -- Linux and XP.  There is a shared data
> partition that the two access.  Would it be possible to have the ruby
> gem repository on that shared drive such that my Ruby environment is
> the same no matter which operating system I startup?  Meaning, I
> install a new gem on the Windows side.  When I startup Linux, that gem
> is installed and available.
>
> dvn

It's probably possible, and it might seem easier at first but sooner or
later you'll run into problems I think. For example, gems that have
native compiled binaries, they cannot be shared between XP and linux so
you would have to install them separately anyway. (Unless you compile
them all for windows and then use Wine on linux, which would
be.....horrible :P)

I think in the long run, two different gem homes will be a lot easier
even though it doesn't sound it at first.

HTH

Matt