Forum: JRuby starling eaquivalent or jruby?

Raphael B. (Guest)

I wanted to install the starling gem with jruby:
  jgem install starling-starling
but it complains that it is a native extension.

Any suggestion of an alternative usable with JRuby? I need a simple
queuing system like starling, not more.

Thanks in advance.

Raphaël
--
Web database: http://www.myowndb.com
Free Software Developers Meeting: http://www.fosdem.org

I've been using ActiveMQ with JMS under Glassfish for a while now and
I've
been very happy with it. You can even use Message Driven Beans to
process
new messages asynchronously, though I've yet to write a MDB in JRuby.

You can run a standalone ActiveMQ broker, or you can deploy the resource
adapter in Glassfish and have that funciton as a broker.

Check out the following links to get started:

http://www.shaneharvie.com/2007/07/jruby-jms-as-re...
http://www.nabble.com/MDB-that-receives-from-Activ...

Regards,

Martijn

Raphael B. wrote:
> Thanks in advance.

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Martijn S
> http://www.shaneharvie.com/2007/07/jruby-jms-as-re...
> http://www.nabble.com/MDB-that-receives-from-Activ...

Thanks Martijn.

However I'm using jetty_rails for deployment (and reallly like the
solution), and I wonder if actimq is not a bit overkill for what I
need at this time.

Raphaël

>> I wanted to install the starling gem with jruby:
>> Web database: http://www.myowndb.com

--
Web database: http://www.myowndb.com
Free Software Developers Meeting: http://www.fosdem.org

What do you need the queue for? I had looked at using the queue
available in
the Glassfish container as well as Nick S.'s work for message
passing,
but decided that it was too heavyweight and that a DB queue would
suffice
for the time being.

Starling should work in JRuby. I have a (really messy) implementation
where
the web servers use MRI and "Pack of Mongrels" to serve requests while
the
Starling queue runs on JRuby because we simply had too many connections
and
background jobs for MRI threading to handle. In a pure JRuby
implementation,
Starling will fire up another instance of Java, which is less than
ideal.

Ikai

On 1/15/09 7:13 AM, "Raphael B." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

>>> --
>>>
>>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

apache
one...
Does that does JMS? Thought it was AMQP only
(though it does a Java binding).

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 6:28 AM, Khaled al Habache
wrote:
>> What do you need the queue for? I had looked at using the queue available
>> background jobs for MRI threading to handle. In a pure JRuby
>> >>
>> > Raphaël

>>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

> What do you need the queue for? I had looked at using the queue available in
> the Glassfish container as well as Nick S.'s work for message passing,
> but decided that it was too heavyweight and that a DB queue would suffice
> for the time being.

I think I'll go for the DB queue too for the time being.

Cheers

Raphaël> On 1/15/09 7:13 AM, "Raphael B." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>