Forum: GNU Radio Does anyone have codes to decode GPRS and WiMax?

Jane C. (Guest)
Hi all,

Does anyone have codes to decode GPRS and WiMax? I know BBN has 802.11b
code. I would like to know if  anyone has GPRS and WiMax codes.
I have used Google to search for a while but cannot find codes to
decode GPRS and WiMax. Can anyone give me some hints?

Thank you,
Jane
Eric B. (Guest)
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 04:11:12PM -0800, Jane C. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have codes to decode GPRS and WiMax? I know BBN has
> 802.11b code. I would like to know if  anyone has GPRS and WiMax
> codes. I have used Google to search for a while but cannot find
> codes to decode GPRS and WiMax. Can anyone give me some hints?
>
> Thank you,
> Jane

I don't know of any open source solutions for these.
Extending OpenBTS to handle GPRS might be the easiest way to get
that done.  WiMax would be a _big_ project.

Eric
Jason U. (Guest)
> Extending OpenBTS to handle GPRS might be the easiest way to get
> that done.  WiMax would be a _big_ project.

I can tell you from experience that it's bigger than you think.  I
know someone who is trying to monitor just a single channel, and even
the process for the OFDM pilot tones was super complicated (if you
made a flow chart I'm pretty sure it'd be about 10 pages long).

My experience is with the USRP1, and I think that if you are only
interested in monitoring one channel (ie, not having an actively
communicating receiver), then you can get by using the 8 bit sampling
mode, otherwise you will have to try to work something out within the
FPGA.  From what I can tell, most of the space in the FPGA image is
taken up by the code that lets you change the decimation/interpolation
rates.  If you fixed those you would free up a lot of space for you to
work with (maybe do some sort of intelligent decimation by handling
the OFDM on chip? You'd have to be a super HDL coder I think)

Anyway, that's my (limited) wimax-on-usrp experience.

Jason