Forum: Ruby ruby json library trouble

Amazouz L. (Guest)
Hi everybody

I'm trying to export some data in the Json format using the json_pure
library

I've well prepared my structure in my program and I used the generate
method
to get the Jon output. But, during the generation, an error occurs
saying
that it met a character that is not utf-8 encoded.?

Do this mean that I'm obliged to give UTF-8 encoded strings in my
objects to
get my json output, and if it is the case, do you now good ruby utf-8
encoding library to advise it to me?

Thank you!
Izidor J. (Guest)
I did not check, but probably you need to use utf8 strings, at least
for ruby 1.8

For encoding into utf8, you need to know what is your string's current
encoding, and then change the string into utf8 encoding. You can use
iconv() (google ruby iconv) for that change.

izidor
Brian C. (Guest)
on 2009-01-16 13:04
Amazouz Loui wrote:
> I've well prepared my structure in my program and I used the generate
> method
> to get the Jon output. But, during the generation, an error occurs
> saying
> that it met a character that is not utf-8 encoded.?

Json *only* supports Unicode text. See http://www.unicode.org/

If you want to send arbitrary binary data, you need to encode it first
into a textual form, e.g. using base64 encoding.

If you want to sent 8-bit text which is not UTF-8, then you can
transcode it to UTF-8 (probably the "right thing" in this context), or
base64 encode it.
Brian C. (Guest)
on 2009-01-16 13:04
Sorry I meant http://www.json.org/ - must engage brain sooner!
Amazouz L. (Guest)
OK, thank you Brian and Izidor,

 I will see in that way. But I want to know something more, what is
exactly
the role of the KCode Variable?

Than kyou!
James G. (Guest)
On Jan 18, 2009, at 1:03 AM, Lyes A. wrote:

> I will see in that way. But I want to know something more, what is
> exactly the role of the KCode Variable?

I answer that specific question in this blog post:

http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/the_kcode...

If you want more general character encoding information, you may wish
to start reading from the beginning of that series:

http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/understanding_m17n

Hope that helps.

James Edward G. II
Amazouz L. (Guest)
Hello James!

Thank you for the quick answer, I will see whate you gave me