Help needed

Hi guys,

i am now trying to learn ruby, there was another developer that left and
i have a problem with our company website, www.italyabroad.com. when
clicking on wine on the navigation bar, the page does not open and there
is an error. when clicking on all other sections of the website (eg
food) that should use the same code, it works. i cannot understand where
is the problem, i have gone through plenty of books but my knowledge of
ruby is not up to it yet, any idea where is the error? thanks for all
your help.

Andy

Without logs it is very hard to deduce what has occurred

but the error appears to be happening on the following routes

/categories/show/wine
/categories/sub-categories/red-wines

but not on

/categories/sub-categories/biscuits
/categories/show/food

Therefore at a guess there is a problem accessing the Wine model (if
infact youhave a wine model?).

Query your database copy though script/console to ensure you can access
the wine model.

if that works then you know the problem is somewhere in the controller
code handling the wine model. Anyway you really need the server error
logs that show you the problem and should provide a stack trace so u can
see where it is failing.

By the way your drop down menus dont work in Safari. (the background is
clear not white or whatever)

Andy Dercole wrote:

Hi guys,

i am now trying to learn ruby, there was another developer that left and
i have a problem with our company website, www.italyabroad.com. when
clicking on wine on the navigation bar, the page does not open and there
is an error. when clicking on all other sections of the website (eg
food) that should use the same code, it works. i cannot understand where
is the problem, i have gone through plenty of books but my knowledge of
ruby is not up to it yet, any idea where is the error? thanks for all
your help.

Andy

Do you have any trace of the error o more details in the logs?

In the site only see an error page and redirects to the index.

With more details we can see the source of the error.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Andy Dercole <

Hi and thanks for the help ( i will work on safari). With regard to the
log, i will look at it and find out whether it says something. As i
said, i am new to ruby so still trying to find my way. I dont think
there is any wine model, there is only a category model. the last time
it was working i took a few products off the site from the admin panel,
and suddendly it stopped working. will try to reput them and see what
happens. will copy the log in here.

Andy

Andy Dercole wrote:

Hi guys,

i am now trying to learn ruby, there was another developer that left and
i have a problem with our company website, www.italyabroad.com. when
clicking on wine on the navigation bar, the page does not open and there
is an error. when clicking on all other sections of the website (eg
food) that should use the same code, it works. i cannot understand where
is the problem, i have gone through plenty of books but my knowledge of
ruby is not up to it yet, any idea where is the error? thanks for all
your help.

Andy

Guys,

the log file is huge, how can i open and look at it without the computer
to stall?

thanks

Dear Agustin,

I solved that problem: The “^D” in the book meant “control D” not
“character^D”. But now I have another problem.

% cd sample
I am very rusty on these old
command line interfaces, but
I finally got there.

% ruby eval.rb
This worked.

ruby> a = “Hello, world!”
This worked, thusly:
“Hello, world!”

But when I tried this:
ruby> puts a
I got this:
ERR: undefined local variable or method ‘a’ for
main:Object

Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:00:56 -0200
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Rails] Re: help needed

[email protected] wrote:

Hi guys,

i am now trying to learn ruby, there was another developer that left and

i have a problem with our company website, www.italyabroad.com. when

clicking on wine on the navigation bar, the page does not open and there

is an error. when clicking on all other sections of the website (eg

food) that should use the same code, it works. i cannot understand where

is the problem, i have gone through plenty of books but my knowledge of

ruby is not up to it yet, any idea where is the error? thanks for all

your help.

Andy

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_hm_justgotbetter_explore_012009

this is the error log:
ActionView::TemplateError (Expected
/home/virtual/site12/fst/var/www/italy/app/models/resource.rb to define
Resource) on line #2 of
app/views/site/shared/_box_wine_pdf.rhtml:
(it is running rails 2.2.2)

thanks
Andy