Forum: Ruby on Rails can one test manual transactions in Rspec/UnitTest noting the testing framework wraps its DB work in

Greg H. (Guest)

Just wondering, can one test manual transactions in Rspec/UnitTest
noting
the testing framework wraps its DB work in a transaction & mysql doesn't
allow nested transactions?

--
Greg
http://blog.gregnet.org/
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering, can one test manual transactions in Rspec/UnitTest noting
> the testing framework wraps its DB work in a transaction & mysql doesn't
> allow nested transactions?

Wrapping code examples (in rspec) or test methods (in t/u) in a
transaction is the default behavior, but is easily turned off with
config.transactional_fixtures = false.

The name transactional_fixtures is a bit misleading because its really
about wrapping each method in a transaction whether you're using
fixtures or not.

If you do turn this off, however, you'll want some code to truncate
the DB after each example (after(:each) in rspec, teardown in
test/unit) to avoid leaking state across examples.

HTH,
David
Greg H. (Guest)
actually what I really want would be to turn it off on just some tests,
i.e.
the ones that are going to be doing tests relating to transactions and
rollbacks.  Don't suppose you know if this is possible?
thanks

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 4:23 AM, David C.

--
Greg
http://blog.gregnet.org/
On 15 Jan 2009, at 20:54, Greg H. wrote:

> actually what I really want would be to turn it off on just some
> tests, i.e. the ones that are going to be doing tests relating to
> transactions and rollbacks.  Don't suppose you know if this is
> possible?

It's a per subclass of Test::Unit::TestCase setting. IIRC (for test/
unit at least) rails will reload fixtures for you between tests.

Fred
Greg H. (Guest)
actually I'm only using specs (rspec)

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Frederick C. <

--
Greg
http://blog.gregnet.org/