Forum: Ruby on Rails How do I change MYSQL startup options on Mac??? (can't work it out)

Greg H. (Guest)

Can anyone help me out re how I change the startup options for mysql
(v5.0)
running on my Mac? (I just want to add the "--log" option is about it).
tried doing "sudo ./Library/StartupItems/MySQLCOM/MySQLCOM restart"
however
this started a 2nd instances of mysql & mysqld.

Here is what I see start after Mac startup if this helps:

$ ps aux | grep mysql
_mysql 137 0.0 0.5 635228 9760 ?? S Wed03PM 2:47.21
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld --basedir=/usr/local/mysql
--datadir=/usr/local/mysql/data --user=mysql
--pid-file=/usr/local/mysql/data/Macintosh-2.local.pid
root 100 0.0 0.0 600172 496 ?? S Wed03PM 0:00.02 /bin/sh
./bin/mysqld_safe
--datadir=/usr/local/mysql/data
--pid-file=/usr/local/mysql/data/Macintosh-2.local.pid
greg 53283 0.0 0.0 599700 372 s002 R+ 11:44AM 0:00.00 grep mysql

QUESTION: So how can I determine what Mac startup component/files
culminate
in the above-mentioned mysqld & mysql startup?

Thanks

--
Greg
http://blog.gregnet.org/
On 14 Jan 2009, at 03:00, Greg H. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help me out re how I change the startup options for mysql
> (v5.0) running on my Mac? (I just want to add the "--log" option is
> about it). I tried doing "sudo ./Library/StartupItems/MySQLCOM/
> MySQLCOM restart" however this started a 2nd instances of mysql &
> mysqld.

If you used the package installer from the MySQL site, you should have
gotten a control panel, which you will find in your System Settings.
If it isn't there, it's probably somewhere on the disk image of the
MySQL installer. Just doubleclick it to install.

If you have compiled MySQL yourself, you probably used a LaunchDaemon,
in which case you would edit the launchdaemon plist file and add the
parameter in there.
Unloading a launchdaemon: sudo launchctl unload -w /Library/
LaunchDaemons/com.mysql.blabla.plist
com.mysql.blabla.plist

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Greg H. (Guest)
My MySQL icon in System Preferences is quite basic.  Nowhere to put in
mysqld startup parameters.

I don't have any LaunchDaemons, so it seems it started from
./Library/StartupItems/MySQLCOM/MySQLCOM,
however I still haven't quite determined where to put the startup
parameters.  I'll have to try to understand the MySQLCOM shell script I
guess and work it out....

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Peter De Berdt

Greg
http://blog.gregnet.org/
Alan B. (Guest)
On my machine, there's a file called
/Library/StartupItems/MySQLCOM/StartupParameters.plist in that directory
that has this XML.  Perhaps this is enough to figure things out - Al

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "
http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>Description</key>
        <string>MySQL 5.0.41</string>
        <key>OrderPreference</key>
        <string>None</string>
        <key>Provides</key>
        <array>
                <string>MySQL</string>
        </array>
        <key>Uses</key>
        <array>
                <string>Network</string>
                <string>Resolver</string>
        </array>
        </dict>
</plist>

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Greg H. <
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 14 Jan 2009, at 11:44, Greg H. wrote:

Probably easier to just change the options in /etc/my.cnf (or wherever
you mysql config file is)

Fred
Greg H. (Guest)
I tried putting a key/value pair here for the options but it didn't pick
it
up :(

--
Greg
http://blog.gregnet.org/

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Frederick C. <