Forum: Ruby on Rails "Gem::RubyGemsVersion" and gem -v don't match

Rred C. (Guest)
on 2009-01-14 01:18
Hello,

1) gem -v shows next: "1.3.1"
2) my ruby&rails project has boot.rb file it contains next method
def rubygems_version
        Gem::RubyGemsVersion rescue nil
      end
this method is called in next code:
def load_rubygems
        require 'rubygems'
        min_version = '1.3.1'
        unless rubygems_version >= min_version
          $stderr.puts %Q(Rails requires RubyGems >= #{min_version} (you
have #{rubygems_version}). Please `gem update --system` and try again.)
          exit 1
        end

Sometime when I open my project I have a window with next text "Rails
requires RubyGems >= 1.3.1 (you have 1.2.0). Please `gem update
--system` and try again."

Why Gem::RubyGemsVersion rescue nil gets "1.2.0" when I have "1.3.1"
version?? Any idea?

PS: This trouble doesn't have any affect to work of project, but I
interest how(where) can I fix it?
PSS: start "gem update --system" says "Nothing to update"
PSSS: I'm novice in Ruby so please, expand your answer (:
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 13 Jan 2009, at 23:18, Rred C. wrote:

> Hello,

Do you have more than one install of ruby (eg one in /usr/bin, the
other in /usr/local/bin ?)

Fred
Rred C. (Guest)
on 2009-01-14 09:23
Frederick C. wrote:
> On 13 Jan 2009, at 23:18, Rred C. wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>
> Do you have more than one install of ruby (eg one in /usr/bin, the
> other in /usr/local/bin ?)
>
> Fred

Hello Fred,
I think that was not present.
link (Ruby) and executable (Ruby1.8) was presented in /usr/bin, but
/usr/local/bin is empty.
MaD (Guest)
try installing the gem "rubygems-update" and then call "sudo
update_gems".
Sazima (Guest)
I had something similar, check your installations and paths...

Cheers, Sazima
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Jan 14, 7:23 am, Rred C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hello Fred,
> I think that was not present.
> link (Ruby) and executable (Ruby1.8) was presented in /usr/bin, but
> /usr/local/bin is empty.

They could be in other places - those were just examples. Comparing
the output of
which gem
and
which ruby