Forum: Ruby Commonly agreed command line options gem?

LAMBEAU Bernard (Guest)

- Is there a commonly agreed gem for parsing command line options of a
script (ARGV) ?
- If no, does anyone know a good one ?

In all cases (as I'm relatively new to Ruby), what heuristic do you
use to select the gems you need? There actually a lot of gems
available and selecting the good one (still maintained, well tested,
famous ruby developers maybe (?), ...) is pretty hard to me.

Thanks
blambeau
Jesús Gabriel y Galán (Guest)
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:35 PM, LAMBEAU Bernard
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

OptionParser is in ruby core:

http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/OptionParser.html

I am very happy with Ara Howard's "main" gem, though.
It's very easy to use.

Jesus.
Jarmo P. (Guest)
on 2009-01-14 00:06
I am used GetoptLong class in stdlib:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/getoptlong/r...

Just look at that self-explanatory example and You're ready to go.

Regards,
Jarmo
Sebastian W. (Guest)
on 2009-01-15 00:32
LAMBEAU Bernard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> - Is there a commonly agreed gem for parsing command line options of a
> script (ARGV) ?
> - If no, does anyone know a good one ?
>
> In all cases (as I'm relatively new to Ruby), what heuristic do you
> use to select the gems you need? There actually a lot of gems
> available and selecting the good one (still maintained, well tested,
> famous ruby developers maybe (?), ...) is pretty hard to me.
>
> Thanks
> blambeau

My absolute favorite is "trollop". It is mega-mega awesome.