From: "Eric C." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
To: <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 3:27 AM
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Intel Atom is NICE.

> > have not gotten a chance to use it with GNURadio much so I have not
> > commented about it on the list.  I am thinking of using it as a car
> > computer.
>
> ----- End Original Message -----
>
> Hello,
>
> I did not realize that the D945GCLF2 has the new Atom 330 dual core
processor. It should work even better than the earlier D945GCLF board or
netbook that I used.
Bob McGwier (Guest)
I did do the install.  BEWARE, steps are required.  PAY ATTENTION.

You need to do a BIOS upgrade to the Dec. 2008 version of the BIOS.

I chose to use the ISO to CD ROM and boot from the CD ROM.  I tried
several
times to flash the BIOS and it never succeeded.  If I hit F2 after
reboot it
said that I still had the old BIOS.  On reboot each time, it said I had
checksum error.

IF ANYONE CAN SHOW ME WHERE IN THE INSTRUCTIONS IT SAYS THIS IS A TWO
PASS
PROCESS OR WHERE DURING THE COURSE OF DOING THE FLASH IT SAYS THIS IS A
TWO
STEP PROCESS, I WOULD BE PLEASED TO BE TOLD I AM BLIND.

After you do the boot to the ISO CD ROM, and you tell it run,  it runs
and
then reboots.  YOU ARE NOT DONE.

On the second reboot,  it THEN flashes the BIOS and succeeds.  I was
removing the CD ROM each time after boot  "so it wouldn't do it again"
and
the checksum error was its BRILLIANT message that it had failed to read
the
image on the CD.  Give me a break!

After that was finally accomplished,  the Ubuntu 8.10 and F10 CD/DVD
respectively started without a kernel panic.  Also, the BIOS setup page
reveals a new banner page saying "Intel 64 Bit processor compatible" and
not
"EM64T Processor capable".

I have compiled and done make distcheck on Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64 and it
works.
The GigE works.  I just did all of this yesterday and have not had a
chance
to plugin in my USRP2 yet.

Bob

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"And yes I said, yes I will Yes", Molly Bloom
Frank B. (Guest)
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Bob McGwier
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> IF ANYONE CAN SHOW ME WHERE IN THE INSTRUCTIONS IT SAYS THIS IS A TWO PASS
> PROCESS OR WHERE DURING THE COURSE OF DOING THE FLASH IT SAYS THIS IS A TWO
> STEP PROCESS, I WOULD BE PLEASED TO BE TOLD I AM BLIND.

Well, sort of. I'd posted a note about this somewhat in advance of
yours,
with a link to the PDF directions. It's mentioned there that the update
takes a fair amount of time, at least 5 minutes, and the process isn't
complete if it hasn't taken that long. Nothing explicit about a two-step
process, though. Quite misleading.

73
Frank
AB2KT
Robert McGwier (Guest)
I guess all's well that ends well.  I have 64 bit Linux and Windows XP
running on it.  No hitches.

I see what you are talking about.

Bob