Forum: Ruby Namespaces a la C#

Cippo L. (Guest)
on 2009-01-11 12:33
Hei everybody,

     I'm kind of new to ruby and, since i come from C#, one of the main
things i'm missing is the .NET "project" way of organizing the codebase.
As you probably know: in .NET you can arrange your code into a project,
then reference that project to have access to everything public inside
it. Example:

<in DotNetProject>
<file Temp.cs>

namespace Temp
{
      public class TestClass { }
}

<file TempTwo.cs>
namespace Temp
{
      public class TestTwoClass { }
}

then, in another project, you get access to TestClass and TestTwoClass
referencing the DotNetProject and you can simplify the syntax too by
adding 'using' directives on your files like:

using Temp;

public class NewClass
{
    public void DoSomething()
    {
        TestClass ts = new TestClass();
        TestTwoClass ts2 = new TestTwoClass();
        //the following is still legal and
        //it's the syntax you'll have to use
        //if you choose not to add the 'using' line
        //at the top
        Temp.TestClass ts3 = new Temp.TestClass();
        Temp.TestTwoClass ts4 = new Temp.TestTwoClass();
    }
}

So: is there a way to do something similar in Ruby? Like using a Module,
but splitted on separate files, such as :

<in file1.rb>
Module test
    Class testclass

<in file2.rb>
Module test
    Class testtwoclass

and then

<in file bootstrapper.rb>
require 'test'
ts = test::testclass.new
ts2 = test::testtwoclass.new

Sorry if this is a lame question but the
add-every-freaking-file-every-freaking-time way isn't just going to work
on a large project and i don't really like having to code every class
belonging to a namespace in the same file like this :

Module test
    Class one
    end

    Class two
    Class n

Thanks in advance!
Jan-Erik R. (Guest)
Cippo L. schrieb:
> Module test
> ts2 = test::testtwoclass.new
this should work perfectly (if you make the Modulename uppercase).
If you don't want to type the "Test::" thingy use "include Test" in
bootstrapper.rb
And if you wan't to just require 'test', the best way is something like
this:
<in test.rb>
Dir["test/*.rb"].each { |file| require file }
Michael F. (Guest)
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Cippo L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

>        TestClass ts = new TestClass();
> So: is there a way to do something similar in Ruby? Like using a Module,
>    Class testtwoclass
>    Class two
>    end
>    Class n
>    end
> end
>
> Thanks in advance!

The short answer is: just try it :)
The long answer is: Ruby lets you reopen just about everything, so you
can do this without problems:

module Foo
  class Bar

module Foo
  class Duh

It doesn't matter in which files the code is, as long as you require
both.
The way libraries do it is usually something like this:
http://paste.linuxhelp.tv/pastes/view/15344

Now you can reference Zoo::Animal and Zoo::Panther as long as you
require the /lib/zoo.rb