Forum: Ruby on Rails BlackBook Gem

Gaurav S. (Guest)
on 2009-01-09 12:30
Hi All

I am new to BlackBook Gem , and i am really exited to implement this
utility in my web application to enable the users of my website to fetch
their contacts from the AOL , Yahoo , Gmail etc.

My Application is implemented in PHP. So please suggest me how to use
blackbook gem with my existing PHP application.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Gaurav
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 9 Jan 2009, at 10:30, Gaurav S. wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am new to BlackBook Gem , and i am really exited to implement this
> utility in my web application to enable the users of my website to
> fetch
> their contacts from the AOL , Yahoo , Gmail etc.
>
> My Application is implemented in PHP. So please suggest me how to use
> blackbook gem with my existing PHP application.
It's a ruby library. You can only access it from ruby, so I suggest
you learn some ruby

Fred
Gaurav S. (Guest)
on 2009-01-09 12:46
Frederick C. wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2009, at 10:30, Gaurav S. wrote:
>

>> Hi All
>>
>> I am new to BlackBook Gem , and i am really exited to implement this
>> utility in my web application to enable the users of my website to
>> fetch
>> their contacts from the AOL , Yahoo , Gmail etc.
>>
>> My Application is implemented in PHP. So please suggest me how to use
>> blackbook gem with my existing PHP application.
> It's a ruby library. You can only access it from ruby, so I suggest
> you learn some ruby
>
> Fred

Hi Fred

Thanks for your response , can i embed this ruby application in my PHP
application.??
Sazima (Guest)
Gaurav,

You can have rails and PHP co-existing in the same server, but you
would have to "glue" the applications together... You cannout use the
gem directly in your PHP application.

Cheers, Sazima

On Jan 9, 8:46 am, Gaurav S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Gaurav S. (Guest)
on 2009-01-20 10:30
Sazima wrote:
> Gaurav,
>
> You can have rails and PHP co-existing in the same server, but you
> would have to "glue" the applications together... You cannout use the
> gem directly in your PHP application.
>
> Cheers, Sazima
>
> On Jan 9, 8:46�am, Gaurav S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

Hi Sazima,

Thanks for your response , can i invoke the ruby file/application that
is using gem and returning the output to the PHP variable or i need to
develop an web service in ruby and to invoke that web service from PHP.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks
Gaurav
Sazima (Guest)
Well, you could develop a shell script / rake task or something like
this, but I think its cleaner to do it via web service.

Cheers, Sazima

On Jan 20, 6:30 am, Gaurav S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>