Forum: Ruby on Rails What is wrong with validates_presence_of :my_association ?

Ben J. (Guest)
on 2009-01-09 02:13
Category.has_many :products

Let's say a product must belong to a category. I know it is recommended
to do the following:

class Product
validates_presence_of :category_id
end

But, as we all know, this is a pain for new records, meaning what if the
associated category is a new record?

I've been meaning to ask this, but what's wrong with doing the
following:

class Product
validates_presence_of :category
end

I never understood why that was so wrong. So I wanted to ask and see if
I am missing something. What do you think? Thanks for your help!
Ryan B. (Guest)
That will check the value for a field called category, not an
association.
-----
Ryan B.
Freelancer
http://frozenplague.net
Flower B. (Guest)
* Ben J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> [2009-01-09 01:13:53
+0100]:

> But, as we all know, this is a pain for new records, meaning what if the
> associated category is a new record?
>
> I've been meaning to ask this, but what's wrong with doing the
> following:
>
> class Product
> validates_presence_of :category
> end

In this case you may need validates_associated or write your own
validation by def validate.
Mark Reginald J. (Guest)
Ben J. wrote:
> associated category is a new record?
>
> I've been meaning to ask this, but what's wrong with doing the
> following:
>
> class Product
> validates_presence_of :category
> end
>
> I never understood why that was so wrong. So I wanted to ask and see if
> I am missing something. What do you think? Thanks for your help!

It isn't wrong, it's the right way to do it. You just have to
assign a category object when building a new Product.

http://railswheels.com