Forum: JRuby redmine startup fails

marc (Guest)
No problems starting redmine on MRI, but I get the following on JRuby
head:

\redmine>jruby script/server -e production
=> Booting Mongrel (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick)
=> Rails 2.1.2 application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000
=> Call with -d to detach
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server
Exiting
d:/jruby/bin/../lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
`require': no such file to load -- win32/service (MissingSourceFile)
from
d:/jruby/bin/../lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
`require' from D:/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-
2.1.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb: 510:in `require'
        from D:/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-
2.1.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb: 355:in `new_constants_in'
        from D:/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-
2.1.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb: 510:in `require'
        from D:/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel_service-
0.1/lib/mongrel_service/init.rb:5
        from D:/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel_service-
0.1/lib/mongrel_service/init.rb:31:in `require' from
d:/jruby/bin/../lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
`require'
        from D:/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-
2.1.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb: 510:in `require'
         ... 18 levels...
        from D:/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-
2.1.2/lib/commands/server.rb:31:in `require' from
d:/jruby/bin/../lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
`require' from script/server:3

custome_require.rb didn't provide much help other than indicating that a
source file is probably missing (as does the above). Wondered if it was
anything to do with rubygems, but that all seems to be up to date.

ANy ideas? Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Marc

That looks like it's looking for service.rb in the win32 folder. Having
no experience with Redmine, I'm not sure if such a folder exists, and if
it does if it has a service.rb in it. That's where I'd start looking,
though.

marc wrote:
> No problems starting redmine on MRI, but I get the following on JRuby
> head:

If RedMine has added a dependency on win32, they should be thoroughly
slapped around. It appears that they have. Complain to RedMine :)

- Charlie

Charles Oliver N. said...
> marc wrote:
> > No problems starting redmine on MRI, but I get the following on JRuby
> > head:
>
> If RedMine has added a dependency on win32, they should be thoroughly
> slapped around. It appears that they have. Complain to RedMine :)

Thanks guys. I'll get onto them and report back.

--
Cheers,
Marc

FWIW, Redmine used to work fine on JRuby/GlassFish as described at:

http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/redmine_on_gl...

-Arun

marc wrote:
> Charles Oliver N. said...
>> marc wrote:
>>> No problems starting redmine on MRI, but I get the following on JRuby
>>> head:
>> If RedMine has added a dependency on win32, they should be thoroughly
>> slapped around. It appears that they have. Complain to RedMine :)
>
> Thanks guys. I'll get onto them and report back.

--
Application Platform, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Blog: http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta

Arun G. said...
> FWIW, Redmine used to work fine on JRuby/GlassFish as described at:
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/redmine_on_gl...

Thanks. I've not tried to deploy on Glassfish, but will do over the
weekend.

> > Thanks guys. I'll get onto them and report back.

--
Cheers,
Marc

Arun G. said...
> FWIW, Redmine used to work fine on JRuby/GlassFish as described at:
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/redmine_on_gl...

Just to say that Redmine works fine with JRuby HEAD on Glassfish3 from
within Netbeans. Since it also runs under Webrick, the only failure is
under mongrel.

> > Thanks guys. I'll get onto them and report back.

--
Cheers,
Marc

All the more reason to use GlassFish instead of Mongrel ;-)

-Arun

--
Application Platform, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Blog: http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta

Arun G. said...
> All the more reason to use GlassFish instead of Mongrel ;-)

:-) No problem with that, but mongrel does start up a lot quicker when
testing in nb. I'm deploying on Glassfish, but it sure uses a lot of
memory.

And just to add to the detail: I eventually got Redmine deployed on
Glassfish outside Netbeans - both standalone and as a war. It took a bit
of fiddling, though.