Forum: Ruby Re: a good career choice ?

imhotep al-basiel (Guest)
c++ /java -vb-will get you work always

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: "Tim G."
  To: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
  Subject: Re: a good career choice ?
  Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 03:04:44 +0900

  Larz wrote:

  > On Jan 7, 1:52 pm, Tim G. wrote:
  >> Larz wrote:
  >> > Perl is old and provided much of the
  >> > inspiration for Ruby.

  >> going to be around and popular (and well used), as is Perl.  Perl
  >> provided the inspiration for PHP (being embedding Perl code in a
  web
  >> page, is how PHP came about).  It is really hit and miss, some
  jobs
  >> might want you to know Ruby, or RoR, or C, or C++, or Java, or
  Perl,
  >> or VB, or Python, or something completely different.  I'm not
  saying
  >> you're suggesting "Perl is old, so it's not popular" or something,
  >> but I've seen people suggest that, which isn't the case.
  >> --
  >
  > There are some perl modules around that maybe do some things ruby
  > doesn't do, but Ruby is a dynamic language like Perl. C, C++ are
  > compiled and usefull for embedded dev and many other things ..
  >
  > There's always many jobs in older technology for a long time until
  it
  > fades away eventually the way of fortran etc. The efficiency factor
  > may be unsatisfactory ..

  At this point, most language debates come down to opinion and
  assumption. I don't believe that Perl is an old language that's going
  to fade away, while ruby becomes more popular. But, that's just my
  own
  view/opinion. I wasn't saying it because it's more mature and has
  some
  existing modules that maybe don't exist for Ruby or anything. I might
  be wrong about how in demand Perl will or will not be, just like my
  opinion abut ruby and other languages. Neither opinion will make it
  more or less likely, so we'll all have to see. Just remember, there
  are plenty of new jobs in Perl, too (not just older code people are
  hired to maintain).
  --
  Tim G., CEO/Founder/CTO, BurlyHost.com, Inc.

You Rock! Your E-Mail Should Too! Signup Now at Rock.com and get 250MB
of Storage!

http://webmail.rock.com/signup/
Tim G. (Guest)
imhotep al-basiel wrote:

>  c++ /java -vb-will get you work always

<top posting fixed>
<snip quoted post>

Probably.  This is true of a lot of languages, of course.

Anyway, ruby is popular right now and more people are getting interested
in it daily (different companies are as well), it it can't hurt to
know, and more jobs will probably come up with the demand and use.

At the same time, if you don't think you'll be working in a field that
uses Ruby much, find what languages are used the most and make them the
priority.  If you have interest in ruby anyway, use it when you have
time or if you enjoy it -- it could turn into something else down the
line rthat's more lucrative.