Forum: Ruby Libraries that need a new home

Daniel B. (Guest)

As many of you know, Guy Decoux passed away last year. Consequently,
there are 5 libraries on the RAA that will need new homes:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/search.rhtml?search=decoux

I talked to Erik H. about having the ruby-dbi project adopt the
pl-ruby library, and I think the bdb libraries, too (for a future dbd-
bdb).

Does that seem reasonable to everyone?

As for the mmap and bzip2 libraries, we'll need volunteers, preferably
someone who uses these libraries in practice. My own feeling is that
the CodeForPeople or Seattle.rb projects would be good homes. They're
sort of miscellaneous libraries, and I seem to recall that Ara Howard
was a heavy user of mmap, though obviously they can speak for
themselves.

I realize this may be a bit of a touchy subject, and I certainly mean
no disrespect to Guy or to any members of this list. I simply felt
this issue should be addressed.

Kind regards,

Dan
Tim P. (Guest)
On Jan 7, 2009, at 4:11 PM, Daniel B. wrote:

> Does that seem reasonable to everyone?
>
> As for the mmap and bzip2 libraries, we'll need volunteers, preferably
> someone who uses these libraries in practice. My own feeling is that
> the CodeForPeople or Seattle.rb projects would be good homes. They're
> sort of miscellaneous libraries, and I seem to recall that Ara Howard
> was a heavy user of mmap, though obviously they can speak for
> themselves.

Ara and I had a conversation about this last month. I've adopted the
mmap project, and it will be hosted as a gem under the codeforpeople
moniker. Source code is out on Github.

http://github.com/TwP/mmap/tree/master

> I realize this may be a bit of a touchy subject, and I certainly mean
> no disrespect to Guy or to any members of this list. I simply felt
> this issue should be addressed.

Guy is going to be sorely missed in the community. Thanks, Dan, for
taking the effort to keep his work alive.

Blessings,
TwP
Thomas S. (Guest)
On Jan 7, 6:11 pm, Daniel B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> no disrespect to Guy or to any members of this list. I simply felt
> this issue should be addressed.

If no one else wants to do it, I can maintain a project for the bzip2
lib.

T.
Daniel B. (Guest)
Tim P. wrote:
>> pl-ruby library, and I think the bdb libraries, too (for a future dbd-
>>

> Ara and I had a conversation about this last month. I've adopted the
> mmap project, and it will be hosted as a gem under the codeforpeople
> moniker. Source code is out on Github.
>
> http://github.com/TwP/mmap/tree/master

Excellent, thanks Tim.

Regards,

Dan
Daniel B. (Guest)
Trans wrote:
>> pl-ruby library, and I think the bdb libraries, too (for a future dbd-
>>
>> I realize this may be a bit of a touchy subject, and I certainly mean
>> no disrespect to Guy or to any members of this list. I simply felt
>> this issue should be addressed.
>
> If no one else wants to do it, I can maintain a project for the bzip2
> lib.

Please do. Where will you be hosting so people can find it?

Thanks,

Dan
Thomas S. (Guest)
On Jan 8, 8:12 am, Daniel B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > If no one else wants to do it, I can maintain a project for the bzip2
> > lib.
>
> Please do. Where will you be hosting so people can find it?

I'll set up a Rubyforge project.

T.
Daniel B. (Guest)
On Jan 7, 8:58 pm, Tim P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > was a heavy user of mmap, though obviously they can speak for
> > themselves.
>
> Ara and I had a conversation about this last month. I've adopted the
> mmap project, and it will be hosted as a gem under the codeforpeople
> moniker. Source code is out on Github.
>
> http://github.com/TwP/mmap/tree/master

Excellent, thanks.

> > I realize this may be a bit of a touchy subject, and I certainly mean
> > no disrespect toGuyor to any members of this list. I simply felt
> > this issue should be addressed.
>
> Guyis going to be sorely missed in the community. Thanks, Dan, for
> taking the effort to keep his work alive.

You're welcome.

The pl-ruby library (0.5.3) is now hosted by the ruby-dbi team on
RubyForge. For now it's just the last .tar.gz file that Guy released.
There will eventually be a gem.

Regards,

Dan