Forum: GNU Radio Daughter Boards frequencies

Ronaldo N. (Guest)
Hello Community,

I read in the faq and in the usrp_stardard.cc that RF frequencies higher
than 44MHz can't be tuned in URSP,
so how BasicTX, and other daughter boards can tune hundreds, thousands
of
MHz ?

Thank you all, Regards...

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Ronaldo N.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Hello Community,
>
> I read in the faq and in the usrp_stardard.cc that RF frequencies higher
> than 44MHz can't be tuned in URSP,
> so how BasicTX, and other daughter boards can tune hundreds, thousands of
> MHz ?

If you are not familiar, you may want to read up on superheterodyne
receivers:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheterodyne

For TX, a baseband signal is mixed up to the RF signal (carrier).
Reverse for RX.

Brian
Sebastiaan H. (Guest)
Hi

I can help with the RX bit.  Read up on undersampling.  This is how
you would do it with a BasicRX card.  You can basically sample a
signal higher than 64MHz provided that the bandwidth is less than
64MHz/2.  The signal then ends up between 0 and 32MHz and is either
inverted or not.  You then need to set the cordic frequency to that
frequency to mix it down to DC on the FPGA.

With the TVRX cards there is a tuner that downconverts a high
frequency signal (FM,UHF,VHF) down to somewhere below 64MHz (depending
on which TVRX revision you have).

Sebastiaan

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Ronaldo N.

--
Sebastiaan H.
Radar and Remote Sensing Group, University of Cape Town

Thank for your answers,

Ronaldo

2009/1/7 Sebastiaan H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> frequency signal (FM,UHF,VHF) down to somewhere below 64MHz (depending
> > so how BasicTX, and other daughter boards can tune hundreds, thousands of
> >
> Sebastiaan H.
> Radar and Remote Sensing Group, University of Cape Town
> Tel:  +27 83 305 5667

Sorry my ignorance, I revised my question and i was not clearly...

There is a condition on line 1008 in usrp_standard.cc code. That
condition
limits the LO frequency (see my schematic) to the maximum of 44 MHz, OK?
But
you can read in the mailing list that the baseband frequency is limited
to 4
MHz, then you are able to tx just 48 MHz (f_RX = f_baseband + f_LO = 4
MHz +
44 MHz = 48 MHz).

With my USRP using the BasicTX daughterboard I can tune my system until
248
MHz ( f_LO = 244 MHz + f_baseband = 4 MHz).

My question is: How can the BasicTX tune up to 244 MHz if the
usrp_standard
doesn't allow to tune up it more than 44 MHz?

(Sorry my poor english, I'm learning yet...)

Thank you a lot,

Ronaldo

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 10:25:34AM -0200, Ronaldo N. wrote:
> Sorry my ignorance, I revised my question and i was not clearly...
>
> There is a condition on line 1008 in usrp_standard.cc code. That condition
> limits the LO frequency (see my schematic) to the maximum of 44 MHz, OK?

No, not OK.

The code you are looking at is the code that tunes only the digital
upconverter.  Please read the USRP FAQ and take a look at the
high-level tune method in usrp_standard.h

  /*!
   * \brief High-level "tune" method.  Works for the single channel
case.
   *
   * This method adjusts both the daughterboard LO and the DUC so that
   * DC in the complex baseband samples ends up at RF target_freq.
   *
   * \param chan  which DUC channel we're controlling (usually ==
which_side).
   * \param db    the daughterboard we're controlling.
   * \param target_freq the RF frequency we want our baseband translated
to.
   * \param[out] tune_result details how the hardware was configured.
   *
   * \returns true iff everything was successful.
   */
  bool tune(int chan, db_base_sptr db, double target_freq,
usrp_tune_result *result);

Eric
Ronaldo N. (Guest)
Thank you Eric, I got it! ;)

2009/1/8 Eric B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> upconverter.  Please read the USRP FAQ and take a look at the
>   * \param db    the daughterboard we're controlling.

--
__________________________________
Ronaldo A. Viera Nunez
Universidade Federal de Santa Maria

Santa Maria - RS - Brasil
Nadia Y. (Guest)
I am new in GNU Radio and I am trying to do some tests using the USRP
and the BasicTx daughterboard. I want to use the BasicTx to transmit at
50 MHz, but I can´t because of the 44 MHz limitation given by the DAC,
as explained in the FAQ. I´ve read about the high-level tune method in
usrp_standard.h, but I don´t know how to use it in my python program.
I´d appreciate if you could indicate me how to use this method.

Thank you!

Nadia