Forum: Ruby on Rails New cheat sheet: Jump Start Credit Card Processing in Ruby

Amy H. (Guest)
on 2009-01-06 17:46
Hey guys... it's me ;)

I've come out of a long cheat sheet-free period!

I want to share with you my new, really massive "cheat sheet" on credit
card processing:

* the process,
* how it works,
* what you need to get the right accounts, and of course,
* how to get started with ActiveMerchant.

Download it here: http://jumpstartcc.com/

Aaaand... Thomas F. contributed a spiffy JavaScript for detecting CC
types and validating against the Luhn10 algorithm.

This little guide is based on what we learned developing our new time
tracking service, freckle: http://letsfreckle.com. Even with the help of
some excellent existing libraries, the whole process was brutal!

I hate being brutalized! And there is crap all for resouces out there on
this topic, so I figured I'd share the knowledge. :)

Let me know what you think!

Amy
Jodi S. (Guest)
Thank you Amy - always a (brutal) and mysterious process.

Jodi
Patrick D. (Guest)
Hi Amy,
Without having looked at your cheat sheet yet, nor at any code that
might be
out there for validating credit card numbers, can I put in a request to
eliminate one of my (many, I'm sure) pet peeves...

Did/can you address the issue of allowing the end user to put spaces in
credit card numbers?

I find it much easier to enter 4 digits at a time, as they are printed
on my
credit card, separated by spaces and get annoyed at sites that require
that
I enter all 16 digits in one swell foop.

Whew!  Boy am I glad I got that off my chest!

--wpd
Flower B. (Guest)

Very clear and detailed document, great pdf :)

Thanks,
Jan
Amy H. (Guest)
on 2009-01-06 21:09
Patrick:

> Did/can you address the issue of allowing the end user to put spaces in
> credit card numbers?

Oh, great idea. I hate that too! I didn't think of it when I was
writing, but I will definitely add it, one way or another.

Perhaps we can add it to the JavaScript as a way of encouraging good
behavior.

> Whew!  Boy am I glad I got that off my chest!

I know how that feels!

Anybody else with ideas, suggestions, or questions... let 'er rip!

Oh, and if it helped you, I wouldn't mind hearing that either ;)

Cheers,

Amy
Fernando P. (Guest)
on 2009-01-06 21:41
> Anybody else with ideas, suggestions, or questions... let 'er rip!
>
> Oh, and if it helped you, I wouldn't mind hearing that either ;)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Amy
What did you use to type the mini-book? It looks fantastic and is much
easier to read than a boring manual! Is it LateX? OpenOffice? M$ Word?
Other.

Where did you get all these cool little images? Do you crate them
yourself or do you have a pool of images in which you can pick?

Best regards,
John Y. (Guest)
Ok, it says a lot when I find myself chuckling at the sheer cuteness
of a technical guide.
John Y. (Guest)
> Ok, it says a lot when I find myself chuckling at the sheer cuteness
> of a technical guide.

Forgot to mention - Great Job.
Matt Grande (Guest)
This is fantastic, and just in the nick of time.

What other guides have you guys written?
(Guest)
very nice ! (though mostly US-centric ;-) )
Another good source, if you want to use Paypal specifically, are Ryan
Bates's last 3 RailsCasts.
Rgds,

Elise
Amy H. (Guest)
on 2009-01-07 18:44
Matt Grande wrote:
> This is fantastic, and just in the nick of time.

Glad it's helpful :) We'll be blogging more about this stuff on our
site: http://letsfreckle.com/blog.

> What other guides have you guys written?

None like this, yet.

We're working on a ~60-page ebook on JavaScript performance and scaling,
specifically, that I hope to publish in February, for $29 (including
some awesome tools we'll also OSS later).

Sign up for the email list on jumpstartcc.com and I'll send you an early
adopter discount ;)

Matt, I don't know if you're familiar with my older cheat sheets.
They're not this big, but clearly I've been working up to it:

http://www.slash7.com/cheats/activerecord_cheatsheet.pdf
http://www.slash7.com/cheats/form_helpers.pdf
http://www.slash7.com/cheats/scriptaculous_fx1.pdf
http://www.slash7.com/articles/2006/10/8/rjs-demis...

For the record, I do these up in Omnigraffle, although I'm about to
ditch that in favor of either Keynote (unlikely) or InDesign (likely)
for any future 10-pagers. I am an OG ninja, though, so I don't think I'd
recommend the tool to anyone else.

> Where did you get all these cool little images? Do you crate them yourself or do you
have a pool of images in which you can pick?

The illustrations are from istockphoto.com. I probably dropped about
$100-$120 on stock art for this baby. I do not like to do a half-assed
job.

Thanks for all the feedback :D

Amy
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Amy Hoy

> ... I don't know if you're familiar with my older cheat sheets.

Amy, thanks for those links, but looking at one also reminded me --

Major props for creating the CC guide with an aspect ratio that makes
sense for reading online.  :-)

One of the main reasons I generally despise PDF is having to scroll
up and down to read something formatted for an vertically oriented
8.5x11"/A4 printed page rather than a typical wider-than-tall screen.

So thank you, thank you, thank you!

Amy H. (Guest)
on 2009-01-07 20:22
Hassan S. wrote:

> Major props for creating the CC guide with an aspect ratio that makes
> sense for reading online.  :-)

Thanks, Hassan :) I'm always trying to learn & get better :)

Amy