Forum: Ruby on Rails RoR, Apache2, fcgid and ubuntu...

Jeba M. (Guest)
Hi.
I'm trying to deploy my rails application on ubuntu server using apache2
and fcgid..but have not been successful..
I am using ruby 1.8.6, rails 2.2.2 and fcgi 0.8.7 gem...
I am able to start apache successfully and view the Aptana RadRails
welcome page..But giving my controller's name gives me a 404 error...
I have made required changes in my /public/.htaccess and
/public/dispatch.fcgi files....as=>

.htaccess(w/o comments)

AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
AddHandler fcgid-script .fcgi
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
Options +FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI
dispatch.*fcgi*
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^$ index.html [QSA]
RewriteRule ^([^.]+)$ $1.html [QSA]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ dispatch.fcgi [QSA,L]

ErrorDocument 500 "<h2>Application error</h2>Rails application failed to
start properly"

dispatch.fcgi

#!/usr/bin/ruby
require File.dirname(__FILE__) + "/../config/environment"
require 'fcgi_handler'
require 'rubygems'
require_gem 'fcgi'
RailsFCGIHandler.process!

I am attaching my httpd.conf file...

I have checked that my VirtualHost works perfectly...but it doesn't seem
to start my rails application....

Can someone please tell me where am I going wrong????
Thanks in advance..

I guess my question would start with this: why are you using fcgi?
Jeba M. (Guest)
I'm using the module fcgid with apache and so along with it I need the
fcgi
gem.
I tried using fastcgi module but it would crash....so I switched to
fcgid
which is much reliable than fastcgi...
I've also installed and used phusion passenger and ruby enterprise
edition...but no use....
It too gives me a 404 error....:-((

Can you please suggest any other way in which I can SUCCESSFULLY deploy
my
rails application on apache?????
Thanks.

Bobnation wrote:
>> welcome page..But giving my controller's name gives me a 404 error...
>> RewriteEngine On
>> #!/usr/bin/ruby
>>
>> Can someone please tell me where am I going wrong????
>> Thanks in advance..
>>
>> --
>> context:http://www.nabble.com/RoR%2C-Apache2%2C-fcgid-and-......

I would actually look at Passenger again and see where things went
wrong. You can use Passenger along with just the MRI version of Ruby
(I'm running it on Ruby 1.8.7 right now).

Check out some of the Slicehost articles if you want some step-by-step
articles to follow:
http://articles.slicehost.com/2008/5/1/ubuntu-hard...
Sazima (Guest)
Zeba,

You should either use mongrel or passenger.

Cheers, Sazima
Jeba M. (Guest)
Hey...
Thanks a lot for your help....
The problem was that I didn't enable the site by doing..
a2ensite crsa

So I was getting a 404 error....
Now I have the site up and running..:-)

Anyways...Thanks a lot for your help..

Bobnation wrote:
> On Jan 7, 12:05 am, ZebaMomin <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> my

Didn't really do much, but I'm glad you got it up and running.

Now THAT'S a good feeling. ;)