Forum: Ruby Noob Question: New to Programming

Eric R. (Guest)
on 2009-01-05 21:25
Hey I am very new to ruby I am trying to learn as much as I can, I was
looking at this repository and I am curious what this method actually
means.

  def self.create_new(params={})

Could someone break it down to me I apologize I am new I do not
understand what the "self.create" means

Thanks
Eric
Phlip (Guest)
Eric Raio wrote:
> Hey I am very new to ruby I am trying to learn as much as I can, I was
> looking at this repository and I am curious what this method actually
> means.
>
>   def self.create_new(params={})
>
> Could someone break it down to me I apologize I am new I do not
> understand what the "self.create" means

Start here:

http://tryruby.hobix.com/

Next, you gotta walk before you can run. Print out any of the excellent
Ruby
books and curl up with it! Reciting them ain't the best use for this
newsgroup.
If I told you "define a class method, not instance method, that can call
with
nothing or with an option-hash", then we would get mired in recursive
definitions...