Forum: RSpec [Cucumber] after feature hook?

aidy lewis (Guest)

Is there a hook or a method to execute some code after a whole feature
has run or will I need to embed that in a 'Then'?

Regards

Aidy
Aslak H. (Guest)
On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:33 PM, aidy lewis

> Hi,
>
> Is there a hook or a method to execute some code after a whole feature
> has run or will I need to embed that in a 'Then'?

May I ask what you're planning to use it for?

Aslak
Joseph W. (Guest)
aidy lewis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a hook or a method to execute some code after a whole feature
> has run or will I need to embed that in a 'Then'?

There are currently no before/after feature hooks.

http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/hooks

Also if you want something to happen before/after everything you can use
World and at_exit respectively.

--
Joseph W.
http://blog.josephwilk.net

I am finding it difficult to separate my Acceptance Tests unless I
have lengthy scenarios.

One scenario would be one sequence of action etc - until a goal is
reached.

At the end of the feature, I would like the browser to close: If the
browser closes on each scenario - they I have to get back to the
previous state. This is expensive with browser based tests.

Aidy
Aslak H. (Guest)
On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 3:12 PM, aidy lewis

And only closing the browser after all the features (at_exit) does not
work?

Aslak
Joseph W. (Guest)
aidy lewis wrote:
> Hi Alsak,
>
> I am finding it difficult to separate my Acceptance Tests unless I
> have lengthy scenarios.
>
> One scenario would be one sequence of action etc - until a goal is reached.
>
> At the end of the feature, I would like the browser to close:
So you are using scenarios to get the browser into a certain state and
then the next scenario relies on continuing work on that state?
I guess this must mean one scenario failing breaks all following
scenarios in the feature?
> If the
> browser closes on each scenario - they I have to get back to the
> previous state. This is expensive with browser based tests.
>
> Aidy

A bit of a side note but can I ask why you need the browser to close
after a scenario or feature?

In Selenium (not sure if Watir is the same) the time expense of starting
a new browser instances per scenario or per feature is too high (It can
take 7/8 seconds for selenium to start a browser). So rather than
closing and opening new browsers we use a single browser instance open
throughout the test run. We terminate the session before each scenario
(By accessing logout).

@@@ruby
World do
  browser.open '/logout'
@@@

--
Joseph W.
http://blog.josephwilk.net

2009/1/5 Joseph W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>> At the end of the feature, I would like the browser to close:
>> Aidy
> test run. We terminate the session before each scenario (By accessing
> logout).
>
> @@@ruby
> World do
>  browser.open '/logout'
> end
> @@@

at_exit {browser.close} works fine and I should have thought of that.
Thanks

Maybe Selenium RC is slow on starting the browser by going through the
HTTP proxy - but I am not sure. Watir\Firewatir does not take that
long.

I am closing the browser because if the test or A-U-T totally bombs; I
can get rid of that session and run the next test. So if one test
fails, all my tests don't.

Aidy
Joseph W. (Guest)