Forum: Ruby on Rails I'm new - Need some serious help

Ulrich (Guest)

I'm just starting out to learn Ruby and do web developing as a hobby
and then came across Rails.

What is it exactly? The explanation on site does not exactly tell me
what it is... PHP is a server-side scripting language. Is Rails the
same based on Ruby principles or what? I hear Python has a similar
thing called Django (but I do not understand these technologies).

Also, do I need to learn Ruby first in order to proceed with Rails or
can I start right off with Rails?
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 4 Jan 2009, at 08:22, Ulrich wrote:

Ruby is a programming language, as is PHP, Scala, Python, brainfuck
etc...
Rails is a framework for writing web applications written in ruby
(just as Django is a web app framework written in python, CakePHP and
Symphony are PHP frameworks etc...)

> Also, do I need to learn Ruby first in order to proceed with Rails or
> can I start right off with Rails?

I would certainly recommend you have a working knowledge of ruby.

Fred
Conrad T. (Guest)
On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 4:19 AM, Frederick C.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> wrote:

> > What is it exactly? The explanation on site does not exactly tell me
> > Also, do I need to learn Ruby first in order to proceed with Rails or
> > can I start right off with Rails?
> >
> I would certainly recommend you have a working knowledge of ruby.
>
> Fred

Hi Ulrich, I agree with Fred in regards to having a good working
knowledge
of Ruby because it will definitely make your life easier when learning
Rails.

-Conrad