Forum: Ruby on Rails Installing Gems

Abhishek Pratap (Guest)
Hi All

Getting stuck at the first step with gems. I guess a tough start but
hoping for a easy future.

So here I am.

I did install Gems in the separate /export directory of my Red Hat
system.

ruby setup.rb --prefix=/export --destdir=/export

Now trying to install rails and its dependencies I see this error.
Possibly becoz I am not installing it in the central area as I our
admin policies dont allow it do.

gem install rails
/export/bin/gem:8:in `require': no such file to load -- rubygems
(LoadError)
        from /export/bin/gem:8

Thanks and excuse me if this sounds too silly :)
-Abhi
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 2 Jan 2009, at 16:07, Abhishek Pratap wrote:

You might need to tell ruby to look in that folder eg by passing ruby -
I/export/wherever/its/put/those/files

Fred
Abhishek Pratap (Guest)
Hi Fred

Thanks for a quick reply. However I am unable to follow up. May be
becoz I am platform ignorant till now.

So you want me to pass the ruby -I/export/wherever/its/put/those/
files  but where exactly ?

Thanks again for your patience.
-Abhi

On Jan 2, 11:43 am, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 2 Jan 2009, at 16:57, Abhishek Pratap wrote:

> Hi Fred
>
> Thanks for a quick reply. However I am unable to follow up. May be
> becoz I am platform ignorant till now.
>
> So you want me to pass the ruby -I/export/wherever/its/put/those/
> files  but where exactly ?

I don't know where those files got installed :-)
once you've worked out what the -I should be you can use RUBY_OPT
environment variable to have it added automatically if my memory is
correct.

Fred
Abhishek Pratap (Guest)
Thanks .. got the hook of it now..