Forum: Ruby on Rails Condition LIKE with or for autocomplete

Felipe V. (Guest)
Hello!

I need some help. I am doing an auto complete that hast to find result
from
a mysql database of some people if the text written in the text box
matches
the name or last name. It works if i only want to find matches with the
name
or indepently the secon name but not with a or of both.
I have this

@inscritos = Inscrito.find(:all,
        :conditions => ["LOWER(nombre) LIKE ?",
        '%' + params[:familiar]["0"].downcase + '%' ],
        :order => 'apellido ASC',
        :limit => 8)

this works fine but then i want something like this

@inscritos = Inscrito.find(:all,
        :conditions => ["LOWER(nombre) OR LOWER(apellido) LIKE ?",
        '%' + params[:familiar]["0"].downcase + '%' ],
        :order => 'apellido ASC',
        :limit => 8)
--
Felipe V. Contesse
Ingeniería Civil Industrial UC

@inscritos = Inscrito.find(:all,
          :conditions => ["LOWER(nombre) LIKE ? OR LOWER(apellido) LIKE
?",
          '%' + params[:familiar]["0"].downcase + '%' ],
   '%' + params[:familiar]["0"].downcase + '%' ],
          :order => 'apellido ASC',
          :limit => 8)

otherwise you are saying 'LOWER(nombre) is true or LOWER(apellido) LIKE
blah'

Cheers
Simon

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 08:12:32 +0900, Felipe V.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Felipe V. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> I need some help. I am doing an auto complete that hast to find result from
> a mysql database of some people if the text written in the text box matches
> the name or last name. It works if i only want to find matches with the name
> or indepently the secon name but not with a or of both.

> @inscritos = Inscrito.find(:all,
>         :conditions => ["LOWER(nombre) OR LOWER(apellido) LIKE ?",

I would think that would work if you enclosed your arguments in
parens, e.g.

(LOWER(nombre) OR LOWER(apellido)) LIKE ?

or alternatively

LOWER(nombre) LIKE ? OR LOWER(apellido) LIKE ?

FWIW,
Felipe V. (Guest)
I made a concatenation of nombre apellido and then made the search that
worked great.
Thank for your help