Forum: Ruby on Rails self.inspect in helper file

Sijo k. (Guest)
on 2009-01-01 10:32
Hi
    I just noticed this When i tried

puts self.inspect  just in the module ApplicationHelper  gives
ApplicationHelper

And if i place the above puts statement in any def in the helper module,
then it prints like

#<ActionView::Base:0xb67a6be0 @first_render="home/index",
@content_for_layout="<div class=\"ho........etc

            I did not understand the difference .Could you please
explain this?

Thanks in advance
Sijo
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 1 Jan 2009, at 08:32, Sijo Kg <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> #<ActionView::Base:0xb67a6be0 @first_render="home/index",
> @content_for_layout="<div class=\"ho........etc
>
>            I did not understand the difference .Could you please
> explain this?

Because those two statements run at very different times. Once when
the module is being defined (self is the module) the second runs when
one of the instance methods runs in which case self is the object in
question.

Fred
Sijo k. (Guest)
on 2009-01-01 13:02