Forum: GNU Radio Fedora 10 and svn head

John G. (Guest)
Folks

FWIW just installed Fedora 10 and tried building svn head. Configure
fails due to boost being rev 1.34. Seems like Fedora folks don't want to
keep up to date with boost. 1.35 or later is required.

The following seems to fix it:
Download boost-devel-1.37.0-2.fc11.i386.rpm from

If this fails (firefox doesn't seem to like this)

# wget
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/boost/1...

should work.

Remove existing boost devel
# rpm -e boost-devel-1.34.1-17.fc10.i386
...various complaints are seen but the remove does succeed

Add new one:
# rpm -vi boost-devel-1.37.0-2.fc11.i386.rpm

HTH

Happy New Year!

John
Philip B. (Guest)
On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 1:08 PM, John G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Folks
>
> FWIW just installed Fedora 10 and tried building svn head. Configure fails
> due to boost being rev 1.34. Seems like Fedora folks don't want to keep up
> to date with boost. 1.35 or later is required.

Insert token complaint about boost developers breaking compatibility
with previous versions and not bumping the major version number .....

Boost has some useful classes, but the developers do not make life
easy for people using boost.

Philip
Eric B. (Guest)
On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 06:08:42PM +0000, John G. wrote:

> Add new one:
> # rpm -vi boost-devel-1.37.0-2.fc11.i386.rpm
>
> HTH
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> John

I doubt that 1.37 is binary compatible with 1.34.

I'd recommend leaving 1.34 installed as the default and figure out how
to get a later version installed in parallel with the system default.
Building boost from source is known to work, see

  http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/trunk/RE...

Eric
Bob McGwier (Guest)
I run Fedora 10 on my Quad core and boost 1_37 installed in /opt.  I am
putting it on one of my dual power PC blades and on one of my dual CBE
blades for experimentation with SDK 3.1.  I am attempting to work out
all of
the gotchas with F10 for this work.

--with-boost=/opt/boost(directory of your choice)

in the configure, all seems well.  I believe this is the recommended
procedure in the README.boost in the root of the trunk.  Of course,
README
is one of those files that is ignored almost always right?

The only problem I am having with F10 anywhere is cross compile on the
PS3
and this is some weird ostream  is no longer included by default in some
file used in the qa code (libcppunit is involved in the error message)
which
I just have not had time to work out.

Bob

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"And yes I said, yes I will Yes", Molly Bloom
Marcus D. Leech (Guest)
Bob McGwier wrote:

I'm also running F10 with boost-1.37.

The instructions have you include /opt/boost{whatever}/lib in
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but instead, I simply
  do a "ldconfig /opt/boost{whatever}/lib", and then I don't have to
remember to stuff LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  all the time.

I'm running on a quad-core Q6600 system, which I have overclocked to
about 2.95Ghz, from 2.4Ghz.  It's just
  barely able to keep up with two (complex, 8-bit) channels at 6.4Msps
for my radio astronomy stuff.  I can't get
  it to overclock any higher, until I get a cooler (currently using the
stock fan).

If I had the money, I'd upgrade to a 2U server with twin or quad-socket
Xeon 5472, but I can't quite justify that
  expense after getting laid off a couple of months ago :-( :-(

--
Marcus L.
Principal Investigator, Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium
'Eric B.' wrote:
> When you oprofile it, what's the big CPU user?

OK, someone throw me a frickin bone here.    I can't, for love nor
money, find a way to get a vmlinux-uncompressed-with-symbols
  image for oprofile to use with my running F10 kernel.  They ship
kernel images compressed, and without symbols, and the older
  information on this (ca FC6) doesn't appear to work anymore--there's
no "core-debuginfo" and "kernel-debuginfo" packages to
  install.

So, to a first approximation, oprofile is next-to-useless for me.
(Although it does helpfully tell me that the kernel and libgnuradio-core
  are the top two CPU users, but I'd really like more detail than that
:-) ).

--
Marcus L.
Principal Investigator, Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium
http://www.sbrac.org
'Eric B.' (Guest)
On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 09:42:47PM -0500, Marcus D. Leech wrote:

> So, to a first approximation, oprofile is next-to-useless for me.
> (Although it does helpfully tell me that the kernel and libgnuradio-core
>   are the top two CPU users, but I'd really like more detail than that
> :-) ).

The kernel symbols are nice, but not essential.

$ sudo opcontrol --start
$ <run your app>
$ sudo opcontrol --dump
$ sudo opcontrol --stop