Forum: Ruby jruby good deployment VM for windows(!)

Roger P. (Guest)
on 2008-12-31 16:30
As a note, appears from the stories of Jruby [1] that you can actually
use it as a nice stable rails deployment VM--on windows.  That's right.
It has acceptable speed on windows. Wowza.

-=r

[1] http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/171481#new
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
Roger P. wrote:
> As a note, appears from the stories of Jruby [1] that you can actually
> use it as a nice stable rails deployment VM--on windows.  That's right.
> It has acceptable speed on windows. Wowza.

Yes, in fact there should be no major performance difference on Windows
compared to any other platform, because Hotspot (OpenJDK, Sun's JVM,
etc) has had Windows as a supported platform for years and years. JRuby
may arguably be the best Ruby for Windows users as a result.

Matching MRI's Windows behavior has led to a couple peculiarities,
however, so we're always looking for Windows users to help us smooth out
the rough spots. Usually the problems involve pathing (e.g. Dir globbing
and friends) and shouldn't affect Rails deployments. We'd also love to
have a cmd/bat expert take a look at our startup scripts :)

- Charlie