Forum: RSpec BDD or SDD?

aidy lewis (Guest)

Is there a difference between Behaviour-Driven-Development and
Story-Driven-Development? Is Story-Driven-Development a more accurate
description of using Cucumber as a Story Runner?

Regards

Aidy
Aslak H. (Guest)
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 6:52 PM, aidy lewis

> Hi,
>
> Is there a difference between Behaviour-Driven-Development and
> Story-Driven-Development? Is Story-Driven-Development a more accurate
> description of using Cucumber as a Story Runner?

Excellent question,

I think the more common term is STDD (Story Test Driven Development).
There is ATDD (Acceptance-Test Driven Development too) ;-)

They are all variations on the same theme and only marginally different
IMO.
The biggest difference seems to be that different people and groups
promote
them and talk about them in slightly different ways, and emphasise the
various techniques differently. My personal take is that BDD *is*
ATDD/STDD,
but with an additional emphasis on Business value and getting the words
right. I'm not sure how ATDD and STDD are different.

Maybe the best place to get a good balance of viewpoints on this topic
is in
a tool-agnostic forum - maybe this one:
http://groups.google.com/group/behaviordrivendevelopment (I don't know
of
any STDD or ATDD forums).

There are good articles about ATDD and STDD here:

http://testobsessed.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploa...
example.pdf
http://industriallogic.com/papers/storytest.pdf
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/sqe/bettersoftware0908/ (page 24-29)

Aslak
Aslak H. (Guest)
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 7:17 PM, aslak hellesoy

Regarding Cucumber - It's definitely a BDD tool (focus on business value
and
getting the words right), but also an ATDD/STDD tool (if you agree with
me
that BDD is a superset of these).

Aslak
David C. (Guest)
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM, aslak hellesoy

> Excellent question,
>
> I think the more common term is STDD (Story Test Driven Development).
> There is ATDD (Acceptance-Test Driven Development too) ;-)

And ATDP - Acceptance Test Driven Planning - which is subtly different
from STDD and ATDD in that it prescribes that scenarios are derived in
the iteration planning meeting as an estimation tool.

> They are all variations on the same theme and only marginally different IMO.
> The biggest difference seems to be that different people and groups promote
> them and talk about them in slightly different ways, and emphasise the
> various techniques differently. My personal take is that BDD *is* ATDD/STDD,
> but with an additional emphasis on Business value and getting the words
> right. I'm not sure how ATDD and STDD are different.

Me neither, but I think that ATDP is really what BDD is after (*hears
a chorus of the LBJ song from hair*).

Cheers,
David