Forum: Ruby unable to open Excel file

Riya R. (Guest)
on 2008-12-29 10:47
i am using below code for opening Excel application.
But it not opening  Excel file.

Code:-
require 'win32ole'

excel = WIN32OLE.new("excel.application")
excel.visible = true
workbook = excel.workbooks.open("c:\\temp.xls")
worksheet=workbook.worksheets(1)

i just want to open a excel file and write text in it.kindly help me.

Thanks in Advance
David M. (Guest)
on 2008-12-29 15:33
Riya Rai wrote:

> i am using below code for opening Excel application.
> But it not opening  Excel file.
>
> Code:-
> require 'win32ole'
>
> excel = WIN32OLE.new("excel.application")
> excel.visible = true
> workbook = excel.workbooks.open("c:\\temp.xls")
> worksheet=workbook.worksheets(1)
>

> i just want to open a excel file and write text in it.kindly help me.
>
> Thanks in Advance

You'll need to provide more details.

What happens when you run this code?
Does the Excel window appear?
Do you receive an error?

Do you have Excel installed on that PC?
Does the workbook already exist?  Or are you looking to create a new
workbook?

These links may help:

http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/2007/03/automati...

http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/search/label/excel

David
Riya R. (Guest)
on 2008-12-30 08:32
Hi David,

What happens when you run this code?
>> only Console opens(command prompt)

Does the Excel window appear?
>>No

Do you receive an error?
>>No message appears

Do you have Excel installed on that PC?
>> Ms Excel is installed

Does the workbook already exist?  Or are you looking to create a new
workbook?
>>already exists

Problem - unable to open Excel with this code.
Want to open (visible) and want to write text and then save.

Thanks
Riya

David M. wrote:
> Riya Rai wrote:
>>
>> i am using below code for opening Excel application.
>> But it not opening  Excel file.
>>
>> Code:-
>> require 'win32ole'
>>
>> excel = WIN32OLE.new("excel.application")
>> excel.visible = true
>> workbook = excel.workbooks.open("c:\\temp.xls")
>> worksheet=workbook.worksheets(1)
>>

>> i just want to open a excel file and write text in it.kindly help me.
>>
>> Thanks in Advance
>
> You'll need to provide more details.
>
> What happens when you run this code?
> Does the Excel window appear?
> Do you receive an error?
>
> Do you have Excel installed on that PC?
> Does the workbook already exist?  Or are you looking to create a new
> workbook?
>
> These links may help:
>
> http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/2007/03/automati...
>
> http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/search/label/excel
>
> David
Mohit S. (Guest)
Riya,

Not sure if this is the problem but your code is:

excel = WIN32OLE.new("excel.application")

On David's site, the line is:

excel = WIN32OLE::new('excel.Application')

Notice the capital A in Application; however, in irb on my PC, it works
irrespective of the case.  So, that's probably not the problem.  What
version of Excel is installed on the PC on which you are running the
code?  Do you get any other errors at all?

Could you try going line by line in irb to see if it dies anywhere?

Cheers,
Mohit.
12/30/2008 | 3:24 PM.
Riya R. (Guest)
on 2008-12-30 12:02
Thanks every one

Now the below code is working

'To open Excel file
require 'win32ole'

xl = WIN32OLE.new('Excel.Application')

xl.Visible = 1

wb = xl.Workbooks.Open('c:\file.xls')

Thanks again to all

Riya

Mohit S. wrote:
> Riya,
>
> Not sure if this is the problem but your code is:
>
> excel = WIN32OLE.new("excel.application")
>
> On David's site, the line is:
>
> excel = WIN32OLE::new('excel.Application')
>
> Notice the capital A in Application; however, in irb on my PC, it works
> irrespective of the case.  So, that's probably not the problem.  What
> version of Excel is installed on the PC on which you are running the
> code?  Do you get any other errors at all?
>
> Could you try going line by line in irb to see if it dies anywhere?
>
> Cheers,
> Mohit.
> 12/30/2008 | 3:24 PM.
Mohit S. (Guest)