Forum: Ruby Ruby gives some warning

Albert S. (Guest)
on 2008-12-28 16:52
(I'm using Ruby 1.8.6.)

The following expression...

  rand(rand 3)

...makes ruby emit a warning: "warning: parenthesize argument(s) for
future version"

It seems that I have to write is as "rand(rand(3))". Why? What potential
problem could there be in "rand(rand 3)" ?
Justin C. (Guest)
Albert S. wrote:
> problem could there be in "rand(rand 3)" ?

This does not happen in 1.8.7 or 1.9.1, so I assume they have found a
way around this.

Even "rand rand 3" works.

-Justin
Albert S. (Guest)
on 2008-12-29 11:55
Justin C. wrote:
> This does not happen in 1.8.7 or 1.9.1, so I assume they have found a
> way around this.

Justin, thanks for the info!

(I've just checked 1.8.7's ChangeLog, and, indeed, I saw that this
warning has been removed. I'll have to upgrade my Ubuntu.)