Forum: Ruby on Rails DIY -> HOW TO make own Rails server [4 dummies]

Bartosz Wais (Guest)
Hi guyz,

I got idea to build over lazy Christmas period dedicated rails server
for rails just for home use.. so instead wasting that time for trying
maybe somebody can give me a hint what is the easiest.. or quickest
way to make it.

I got old pc(dell laptop with 700Mhz.. and 256 ram.. ) no OS yet ..

any suggestions?

thanks and Marry Christmas, folkz.

Bart
Gabriel L. (Guest)
On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Bartosz Wais
> any suggestions?
1) grab an ubuntu installation disk
2) install an ubuntu (server flavor) on your box.
3) follow the relevant instructions here :
http://smartic.us/2007/9/4/smarticast-4-rails-rumble-primer
(install apache, ruby, passenger, your favorite dbms, maybe rails)
4) ...
5) profit !

--
Gabriel L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Gabriel L. (Guest)
wrote:
> 3) follow the relevant instructions here :
> http://smartic.us/2007/9/4/smarticast-4-rails-rumble-primer

Argh, it is not the screencast I wanted to link... here it is :
http://smartic.us/2008/10/8/rails-rumble-2008-primer
--
Gabriel L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Matt H. (Guest)
Gabriel L. wrote:

>> any suggestions?
>
> 1) grab an ubuntu installation disk
> 2) install an ubuntu (server flavor) on your box.
> 3) follow the relevant instructions here :
> http://smartic.us/2007/9/4/smarticast-4-rails-rumble-primer
> (install apache, ruby, passenger, your favorite dbms, maybe rails)
> 4) ...
> 5) profit !

Or given the recent thread on debian packaging problems with ruby, try
gentoo[1]...it does everything the others do, plus more. In addition
you'll learn how a distribution hangs together and get a good knowledge
of how to fix problems when they occur :)

[1]http://www.gentoo.org

Matt
Mohit S. (Guest)
Bartosz Wais wrote:

> thanks and Marry Christmas, folkz.
Easiest is probably to base it on Ubuntu or CentOS.
Most efficient is likely to be Gentoo - given the older hardware that it
is.

I think others have already given hints on what can be done.  I wonder
if the EngineYard image is usable..

Cheers,
Mohit.
12/26/2008 | 10:57 PM.