Forum: Ruby on Rails mySQL databases and Radiant...uggg

Ryan O. (Guest)
on 2008-12-22 07:30
* Trying * (hard) to get Radiant CMS to work for me here. Based on these
instructions:

http://wiki.radiantcms.org/Database_Configuration

I created my development database, but when I try to use the 'grant all'
command to tell it the user name and pass this is what I get:

mysql> grant all on radiant_cms_development.* to root@'%' identified by
'root';
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database
'radiant_cms_development'

I am assuming that I created it properly based on this:

bio4054059:radiant_cms rmorourk$
/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysqladmin -u root -proot create
radiant_cms_development
bio4054059:radiant_cms rmorourk$

This is what the development portion of my database.yml file looks like
after I edited it:

development:
  adapter: mysql
  database: radiant_cms_development
  username: root
  password: root
  host: localhost
  socket: /Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock

So I don't know why I am getting an "accessed denied for user" ping
back, clearly those are the user name and password. Can I set the host
on this file to anything localhost:3006 ?

I know I have been posting a lot, but you guys have been a big help so
far - hoping the charity of knowledge continues. Thanks!

I feel like I got my rails setup off on the wrong foot - my mySQL stuff
is buried under the MAMP installation, I'm using locomotive which as far
as I can tell stops the terminal from setting up servers at the normal
local host. (it must all be done via locomotive). Any other advise on
how to "start-over" so to speak and use the proper way of doing things
with nice default-esc paths?
Bryce R. (Guest)

> mysql> grant all on radiant_cms_development.* to root@'%' identified by
> 'root';
> ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database
> 'radiant_cms_development'

Does the user you are using to issue this command have appropriate
permissions to GRANT permissions to others?

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Ryan O. <
Ryan O. (Guest)
on 2008-12-22 19:55
Bryce R. wrote:

>> mysql> grant all on radiant_cms_development.* to root@'%' identified by
>> 'root';
>> ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database
>> 'radiant_cms_development'
>

> Does the user you are using to issue this command have appropriate
> permissions to GRANT permissions to others?
>
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Ryan O. <

Presumably... it's the admin account - i got no password prompt
regardless though...
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Ryan O.

>>> mysql> grant all on radiant_cms_development.* to root@'%' identified by
>>> 'root';
>>> ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database
>>> 'radiant_cms_development'

> Presumably... it's the admin account - i got no password prompt
> regardless though...

It wouldn't *appear* to be the "admin" account. What's the *exact*
command you're using to log in before you try this 'grant' statement?

Ryan O. (Guest)
on 2008-12-22 22:13
> It wouldn't *appear* to be the "admin" account. What's the *exact*
> command you're using to log in before you try this 'grant' statement?

bio4054059:radiant_cms rmorourk$
/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysqladmin -u root -proot create
radiant_cms_development
bio4054059:radiant_cms rmorourk$ /Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysql
Your MySQL connection id is 23
Server version: 5.0.41 Source distribution

mysql> grant all on radiant_cms_development.* to root@'%' identified by
'root';
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database
'radiant_cms_development'

That's what I am doing, Creating it via mysqladmin cmd then going into
the mysql prompt, then trying to grant permissions to it. Any thoughts?
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Ryan O.

> bio4054059:radiant_cms rmorourk$ /Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysql

That should also be mysql -u root -proot if you want to have admin
privileges -- which as a user you clearly don't have.

Ryan O. (Guest)
on 2008-12-23 02:32
> That should also be mysql -u root -proot if you want to have admin
> privileges -- which as a user you clearly don't have.

Thank you. Worked fine. But, still can't seem to get Radiant up and
running locally.

My database.yml looks like:

development:
  adapter: mysql
  database: radiant_cms_development
  username: root
  password: root
  host: localhost:3006
  socket: /Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock

I changed host from 'localhost' to 'localhost:3006' because (via
locomotive) that is where I set the radiant_cms project to be.

Only when going to http://localhost:3006/ I get this error:
Mysql::Error: Table 'radiant_cms_development.config' doesn't exist: SHOW
FIELDS FROM `config`

Which confuses me, because as you can see from the following output - I
can talk to the database (and therefore it must have the config table?)

bio4054059:radiant_cms rmorourk$ /Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysql -u
root -proot radiant_cms_development
Your MySQL connection id is 57
Server version: 5.0.41 Source distribution

mysql> grant all on radiant_cms_development.* to root@'%' identified by
'root';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> create table dummy(i int);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> drop table dummy;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

Would LOVE to get to the bottom of this.
Swift Y. (Guest)
shouldn't the line:
  host: localhost:3006
in your database,yml file be the anouncement for where your mysql is
running?

On Dec 23, 8:32 am, Ryan O. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 23 Dec 2008, at 00:32, Ryan O. wrote:

> I changed host from 'localhost' to 'localhost:3006' because (via
> locomotive) that is where I set the radiant_cms project to be.
>
> Only when going to http://localhost:3006/ I get this error:
> Mysql::Error: Table 'radiant_cms_development.config' doesn't exist:
> SHOW
> FIELDS FROM `config`

the host is where the mysql server is, ie not port 3006. That's
irrelevant though since you're connecting via a unix domain socket

> Which confuses me, because as you can see from the following output
> - I
> can talk to the database (and therefore it must have the config
> table?)

It can talk to the database. It's probably just telling you that the
database is empty. I don't know radiant but I would expect you need to
run rake db:schema:load or similar to create the tables radiant uses.

Fred
Mohit S. (Guest)
Ryan O. wrote:
> ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database
> after I edited it:
> back, clearly those are the user name and password. Can I set the host
> with nice default-esc paths?

Is your 'root' user configured to have a password 'root'?

Cheers,
Mohit.
12/26/2008 | 4:34 PM.